Author Topic: titebond liquid hide glue?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
titebond liquid hide glue?
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:12:07 pm »
 Has anyone used this product? Is it a true hide glue suitable for sinew adhesion(does it shrink)? Not that the powdered stuff is all that hard to prepare, but it would be nice to have it ready to go.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: titebond liquid hide glue?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:20:47 pm »
Used some on an arrow next to another arrow with regular hide glue. Had to water it down and it seemed to sit on top of everything a lot more than real hide glue but I think it was fine once I worked it in. Hasn't given me trouble anyway.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:27:36 pm »
The way it's promoted it has me nervous to try it on sinew bow backing. It's described as a way to achieve crackling for an antique foux finish. I usually only get a couple deer to pull sinew from each year. I'm too big of a wussy to risk losing any of it to a failed glue job. I may just stick to knox and diy dog chew glue until I get my courage from the wizard.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline randman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:43:54 pm »
I've used it before and it's just OK. It does shrink but doesn't dry or gel up as fast as my rabbit skin glue I usually use and it can also go bad in the bottle. Pay attention to the expiration date. It's only easier to use because of the longer working time and there's no heat/glue pot involved. I've used it mostly for applying flax fiber and flax fiber patches etc but have even stopped doing that as patching a weak area on a bow back is futile at best...
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:48:20 pm »
Long term you tend to not hear great things about liquid hide glue.  It seems to be fine when used in typical  fashion  but less so when used in a thicker matrix.
 There is another 'liquid" hide glue made by a smaller company that  likely uses much less urea to keep the glue liquid.  It actually needs to be warmed a bit as it gels somewhat. It's called 'Old Brown Glue". That type might be worth a shot.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:04 pm »
If there's one universal lesson that continues to arise when it comes to this hobby it's that you'll regret cutting corners. This is not a pass time for the impatient or lazy. I suppose it would feel like cheating anyway. I might grab a bottle of the old brown glue, but much testing will be involved before any backing attempts.

Thanks Guys.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 09:10:36 am »
I've used it on  sinew wrapped arrows and sinew wrapping on bows. No problem.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:36:50 am »
I use it a lot for sinew wrapping and the like.  It takes forever for it to fully dry.  It stays slightly tacky for days sometimes.  I would not use it to back a bow.  Josh

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 12:26:42 pm »
I have a recipe to make your own liquid hide glue but it involves using salt. Salt would make the finished glue even more hygroscopic than it already is.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 01:48:26 pm »
Liquid hide glue has additives added and thus it had a shelf life. If it was old it would not dry but remain tacky for a long time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

riverrat

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 09:18:17 pm »
i use it for arrows. but im not so sure id trust it for sinew backing a bow. thats a lot of work to go south if it dont work out. Tony