Author Topic: Pass it on  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Pass it on
« on: November 28, 2015, 09:05:27 pm »
Blackhawk made a bow at '14's TN Classic.
Chris generously added it to the 2015 Classic raffle table. I was sooooo lucky to have my ticket (one of many many many) drawn.
It's been my "go to" bow since.

Now a bit of background is needed.
Before becoming addicted to primitive archery, I was seriously into making/shooting slingshots. And, back then, spent almost as much time on the SlingShotForum as here on PA. Made lotsa friends there, including a fellow Hoosier who lived near where I did back in the day when I was attending Purdue. So, Mike and I became good friends and traded some
 sling-related goodies.

Ok, fast forward to couple months ago. Mike sent me a slingbow he made and we were going back 'n' forth recommending things to make it shoot more effectively. At some point Mike, knowing my interest in selfbows, asked if I'd keep him in mind in the event I made a bow that didn't have a plan for ... like, that ever happens!

Couple weeks ago I was looking at my verrrrry crowded bow rack and, for some reason, recalled Mike's comment. Wellllll, Carol and I cobbled together bomb-proof packaging, added a certain bow, and turned it over to USPS.

Here's the result ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ5xwn1sYIQ
Me thinks he likes it .......... alot!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Pass it on
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »
Works great, this passing it along thingy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:13:41 pm »
Works great, this passing it along thingy!

Yes it sure does😀
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 11:57:50 pm »
Passing it on is what makes these primitive hobbies so much fun. Thanks for brightening someone's day.

WA

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:16:41 am »
I got to watch that bow get built.  Its from the monster osage tree. 

Great job passing it on Knoll
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 08:32:14 am »
The spirit and generosity of the PA gang is impressive. Clint works his butt off to harvest staves from the monster tree and then passes on many staves to others. Chris fashions a beautiful bow from one and donates it to a raffle to help Pappy and the whole Twin Oaks gang who throw a great event every year for hundreds of us to enjoy. Mike buys raffle tickets in support of all those efforts and then graciously passes on a prize bow to an appreciative friend. Cool stuff! :) :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 08:58:18 am »
Two thing Mike;

1. Great of you to give your buddy a bow. Im sure he will enjoy it for a loooong time.

2. I wouldn't want bad Chris' work tainting my rack either! Get rid of it!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 10:25:39 am »
Very cool of you Mike! That is an amazing gift. Passing it on is what it's all about!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 10:28:44 am »
The spirit and generosity of the PA gang is impressive. Clint works his butt off to harvest staves from the monster tree and then passes on many staves to others. Chris fashions a beautiful bow from one and donates it to a raffle to help Pappy and the whole Twin Oaks gang who throw a great event every year for hundreds of us to enjoy. Mike buys raffle tickets in support of all those efforts and then graciously passes on a prize bow to an appreciative friend. Cool stuff! :) :)

Greg, you tied it all together!

Chris ..... not gonna touch that #2.   :o
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 02:15:58 pm »

The ties that bind on this gift are links of a chain. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 06:51:53 am »
Cool!!! Its back in hoosier land trying to find its way back home!!!..lol  :laugh:

Good summary greg ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 06:59:00 am »
Very cool stuff, got to love that.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good