Author Topic: an idea of Osage grain quality?  (Read 1733 times)

Ruddy Darter

an idea of Osage grain quality?
« on: November 27, 2015, 03:45:57 pm »
Hi, I got an old self Osage Elb (85@28 74" long 1 & 1/4"+ wide on the back most of its length and still 1" wide 6" down from the nocks, the nocks being 18mm wide and deep at the neck)... that's damaged at the centre, a collapse around a knot that left the bottom limb heavily set at this point (the knots can be seen on the back), I've straightened  it with heat gun and aim to convert it to some kind of fixed handle or take down. I don't know good Osage from not quite as good Osage and was wondering if someone could have have a look and offer opinion on its quality of grain? ( I will then take this into consideration with what build to go for).
The first pic is of the grain, its a sideshot with the belly facing south.(about an 1+" deep here)
Second pic is of where I took the  grain pic in relation to the bow, my thumb marks its location.
The third pic is an example of the back as it is, I'm thinking maybe a backing added if I make it into another bow  where the limbs will work faster?
And one of the collapsed area discovered after some wood removal, looks like it split before and been glued? The dark line which is crispy and crumbly, this was under the hand grip south end. (Back of the bow is facing to the right).
 Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:21:05 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline LittleBen

Re: an idea of Osage grain quality?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 04:18:59 pm »
What's your goal in terms of draw weight and length?

You've got quite a bit of material there to work with. I would be tempted to shorten it, and lighten it significantly. 66" and 50 or 60#.

That would probably get you down to some relatively fresh belly material.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 04:20:55 pm »
Where exactly does the defect sit in the bow?

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »
What's your goal in terms of draw weight and length?

You've got quite a bit of material there to work with. I would be tempted to shorten it, and lighten it significantly. 66" and 50 or 60#.

Thanks LittleBen, I'd like to keep as much draw weight as possible with a 30" draw, if not 29". It was originally tillered so it could be drawn to 30&1/2" although weighed at 28"., but a good bow would be preferred so thanks for the advice, I may go for that. 8)
Where exactly does the defect sit in the bow?
Here's the location of the defect if i were holding the bow to shoot.,( its been straightened out but will collapse back until some work done here) I'm actually holding it a little low looking at it, so the defect would be an 1" lower. So maybe ahorten here and go for a take down a better option?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:58:59 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 04:55:18 pm »
 I would v splice it together after cutting out the defect and then add a power lam and backing as well as a handle riser.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 05:06:55 pm »
O.k. thanks PatM,  sounds like a good plan. Not done anything like that before so I'll have to go away and educated myself on that  :D, I'd like to back it too, I'd like snakeskin but there not that big here, probably need a 100 of them ;D, but I can get deer sinew.
Thanks for the advice, I now got a better understanding of what I need  to do  8). Although I'll probably bodge a fix, I'll remove any loose stuff and clear out with a chisel, let in some pieces of oak to fill any void and retiller the limbs so these areas remain stiff, I got some old fashioned loose weave linen(pic) that I may try for a backing after I've cleaned it up. It's not ideal but all I got to hand at present. If I keep all its current length I might be able to get the 85@31"(?). I'll have ago at heat treating too before I put on the backing.
I'll have to shelve it for now as much to do, but look forward to working on it, I'll see what I can do with what I got. >:D

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:45:08 pm by Ruddy Darter »