Author Topic: Ancient? Tine based Technnique?  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Ghost Knapper

Ancient? Tine based Technnique?
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:10:12 pm »
While the following images are not an written explanation or video of technique(s) that have been posted recently I hope it sheds some light on what we all are passionate about. These images from what I can tell directly relate to other images that have been posted? While technieques throughout these images are different the leather pad, glove, and hammerstones seem to be a recurring theme. Note the size of the hammerstone with the "simple deer tine" as it has been referred to it, as well as the tine size compared to the piece being worked on. Sorry that there are so many images I chose ones I thought went with each other and could be viewed as a progression in this technique. Maybe the hammerstone on stone punch along with the "drift punch" punch techniques merged together to the "simple deer tine"?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:09:22 am by Ghost Knapper »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Ancient Outre passe technnique?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:16:03 pm »
A sharing of knowledge, refreshing. Thanks, G K.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 10:42:02 pm »
Very nice post. The info is out there just needed to find it. Has very real possibilities. Larger biface a could be a two man operation.

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 01:20:51 am »
Thanks for posting that.
I've tinkered with punches but haven't really got the hang of it yet.
I recall mention of a fourth force in tine based flaking, Is that shown in the pics? What is the fourth force?

Online iowabow

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 07:55:47 am »
Looks like excessive wear that will prematurely destroy valued tools. If you are constantly altering your tool a consistent and predictable outcome will be difficult to repeatedly accomplish. The wider punch placed higher on the platform is a good idea. The spaced boards are an enlarged version of a knapping pad. The problem here is contact areas should be padded/adjusted to distribute load.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Online iowabow

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 07:58:47 am »
Photo 9 and 10 show a platform without material above it . Also the hinge on the left and right show punch failure as well as the bottom middle flake hit high on the platform creates a large creator. This is very critical but I want to see most of the flakes with this technique terminating  beyond center long before we get to this preform stage.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:06:25 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline turbo

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:56:45 am »
Very cool, haven't seen these pics before, that's similar to what I had in my mind he was doing, where did you find them? Either way, I don't see the other thread so I'm guessing things got dramatic while I was at work. I wish he could've done what you just did. I'm sure he has lots to share.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 10:04:10 am »
Good post. The pictures are self-explanatory and I like the way you arranged them. I believe all of these techniques were or could have been used by native peoples. Some of them I have read about in historical accounts or have read about in discussions with other knappers. Regardless of all that, thanks every much for the post. It is always good to be exposed to new or varied ideas that further the science of knapping.

Again, kudos on a great post.

As a side note, I believe that effective thinning rather than outre passe was the overall goal of the paleo indian knappers. They needed thin points to hunt with mere spears. I am sure these methods provided that ability and offered better control over the process once it was mastered. The best method to thin a point is to consistently detach flakes that pass the center of the biface. These techniques seem to point to possible methods of achieving that goal.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:12:17 am by Dalton Knapper »

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 12:52:25 pm »
That is a good post., very educational. I use indirect I like the power and accuracy of the method. I'm not big on overshots. They always mess up my symmetry.

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 02:28:26 pm »
Okay, I guess I'm the dumb kid in the back of the classroom because I don't follow. The series of photos up to the wood punch and mallet appear to just show the same basic "peg" or "vertical" punch system Ben mentioned years ago and it now in use (usually on top of the leg, instead of in the palm) by lots of knappers, with plenty of videos out there about that type of method.

How is the longer, curved tool shown later used?  How is it struck?  How is the stone held/supported?  Ben said this was  new method he came up with in the past year, different than what he was doing before. 

Again, sorry if I am missing the obvious.

Keith

Offline RickB

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 03:08:28 pm »
Now I get it. Rick B

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 04:19:48 pm »
Maybe you're the only smart one Keith.....I assumed all were variations on the same basic technique (more or less except for the really large wood peg - that's different in a couple of ways). Apparently that's the point?

Offline le0n

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 04:45:09 pm »
How is the longer, curved tool shown later used?  How is it struck?  How is the stone held/supported?  Ben said this was  new method he came up with in the past year, different than what he was doing before.

photos supporting this have not been release by him; and yes, it's different. there is an anvil being used; i believe it's wooden.

based on my knowledge of flint-knapping (which is limited, mind you), i'd guess that this wooden anvil is allowing him to setup a bi-polar impact.

how else do would you get this rectangular flake with no prominent bulbs of percussion without having an opposing force from the opposite direction?

note the offset of poles (the notched impact areas (platforms?)): i'm thinking that the relative positioning of these platforms can be used to control the flake path/type; many combinations can be derived from the same setup. the other main variable would be the angle of impact.

at least that is my take on it. and that will be the basis for my upcoming experiments. i just need to create multiple anvils that would allow me to test this. i've even gone as far as imagining a hybrid anvil with a short cylindrical punch that is 'back-stop' positioned into a notched area of the wood. this would give hard-material impact energy on both poles.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 07:36:22 pm »
Zoom in on that picture there is actually a very prominent bulb there. Flake originated at the bottom and rises toward the top.  The thing I see here is there does not really seem to be much control. That point is nearly destroyed by the flake removal. Could be a lack of mastery of the technique. Something to try.

Offline le0n

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 08:18:15 pm »
^^ i see it now.

i also found the other photos to go with this specific example. you can definitely see the bulb. you can also see both platforms on the reconstruct photo.

note the apparent location where the strongest opposing energies meet. the area is chaotic.

it makes for a nasty flake edge.

The thing I see here is there does not really seem to be much control. That point is nearly destroyed by the flake removal. Could be a lack of mastery of the technique. Something to try.

^^ this. although, it's obviously not something that you'd apply at this late stage of the point.

i would bet that one could learn to control the aggressive nature of this process.