Author Topic: Snowy, smoky, Saturday snowstorm deer  (Read 7819 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Snowy, smoky, Saturday snowstorm deer
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »
Nice spread on that old boy!  Congratulations!  Josh

Offline RyanR

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 03:30:55 pm »
That's a good one Chris. Did you get a weight on him?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 03:42:48 pm »
Congrats on the deer and perfect weather!

I had a TC Renegade, 54 cal and it shot dead on with Maxiball..sold it and regretted it since..
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 04:16:17 pm »
Congrats Chris that's a beauty!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 04:28:53 pm »
That's a good one Chris. Did you get a weight on him?

I did not Ryguy. My guess is about 180-190 live and about 160 dressed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 04:29:42 pm »
Congrats on the deer and perfect weather!

I had a TC Renegade, 54 cal and it shot dead on with Maxiball..sold it and regretted it since..

The TC Scout was always my favorite looking TC. Cool gun!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 04:32:38 pm »
Nice buck Chris, were you able to get the meat cooled down quick enough after the recovery? ;D
Looks like the same weather we had here, your a better man than me to get out hunting on that kinda day. Glad to see you were rewarded for fighting the elements, that was some good shooting you did to collect your venison.

I bought a few bags of ice on the way home Greg :) I dressed for the weather, so it really wasn't that bad sitting out. I had to scrape ice and snow off my front bead and top of the barrel before I shot, I couldn't see down it!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »
My personal record was busting six caps on the same doe and all at under 50 yards!  It was a .50 CVA fullstock cheapie, but shot very tight groups out of that Green Mountain barrel!  After she walked away laughing so hard she was staggering, my buddy asks if the gun was loaded.  I hung my head in shame.  But when I checked the barrel, the ramrod went only as deep as the "loaded" mark.  One more cap for giggles and she fired hot and hard!!! *sigh*

Man, I love smoke and snow.  Thanks for sharing, kettle-banger!  Looks like you got a little nourishment to help keep body and soul together a bit longer.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 09:44:31 pm »
Can you hunt deer at night? >:D
Looks cold but that smile warms things up just right.
Yumm Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 10:12:57 pm »
There you go, Pearlie boy. That is a nice one. I'm hoping to do the same in SC over Thanksgiving. The gloves are off and my 300 is coming out.cccccccccccxx
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 11:18:50 pm »
Awesome!! Great way to start the holidays PD.  I went through a plank trying to cross the creek a week ago and blew my knee out and ended my rifle season. Hopefully recover enough to fill my tags with the bow before the first of the year.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline okie64

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 11:20:14 pm »
Nice buck and nice shot PD!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 12:07:37 am »
     That's a nice one there Mr. Pearlie, nice indeed! ;) 8)
When I load my late 70's era .50 TC Hawken kit gun, I usually will turn the gun at an angle, and the lock upside down, and tap the butt stock on the ground, to help the powder get to the nipple area.  I also make sure the nipple is clean of dust, and such.  Never had a misfire.  There could be myriad of reasons why it did not fire, but it did when it counted on the second go round.  J.W. A Friend of mine shot at a nice buck, and rushed the shot, and missed!  The Buck took off, like a scalded dog.  But as my Friend was reloading, the Buck comes back and stands broadside to him, at about 50 yd.s and My Friend finishes loading his rifle, and takes his time aiming, and wham, the buck fell over, and never kicked, or anything else, it was game over!  That TC .50 cal. slug, just pulled his switch.  Not any meat damage, just a nice .50 cal. hole on both sides, and through the heart.  As for CVA guns, I never cared for them, except like you said the barrels were almost tack drivers.  I still have a pistol barrel that I want to some day revive, on another pistol, with a GOOD lock and action, not the crap CVA has.  Pearlie, congrats, on a good hunt!  Looks to be some good eats there.  The rut is just now starting to kick in, here.  I have two bucks here, on my property, and one is an interloper.  The Mule deer, are coming down now, and of course they are down town, with all the white tail deer, as usual.  I tagged a white tail doe a week or so ago.  A kamakazi Doe.  Big girl.  Got me for about 4 grand damage to my truck.  As they say out here, it is not "if" you hit a deer, it's a matter of "When" you hit a deer.  I had my when.  Plus, I bumped one a week or two before that.  Well, Pearlie  You will be eating well now.

Wayne
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:04:29 am by stickbender »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 03:46:31 am »
Way to go Bud ! It was snowin' here so hard Saturday, that I opted for a warm spot on the couch curled up with the dog  >:D. 13 " on the roof of My pick-up Sunday morn. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 06:21:30 am »
Good shooting pal... 8)