Author Topic: Snowy, smoky, Saturday snowstorm deer  (Read 7818 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Snowy, smoky, Saturday snowstorm deer
« on: November 22, 2015, 07:34:33 am »
That's a lot of "S"'s... ;D

Shot this dude last night with my trusty '73 TC Hawken in a snow storm. The shot was a good 75 yards and the deer went 20 yards, maybe. Never touched his lungs that I could see, his heart was nearly in half. This gun has been good to me since I traded for it. Three times I've pulled the trigger on game and three times it rode home in the bed of my truck.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:55:35 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline longbowhntr

Re: Snowy, smoky, Saturday snowstorm deer
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:41:21 am »
Nice deer.
Congrats!!
Near Dardanelle of Yell County Arkansas

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 08:09:33 am »
That's a nice deer
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:13:46 am »
Nice buck Chris, were you able to get the meat cooled down quick enough after the recovery? ;D
Looks like the same weather we had here, your a better man than me to get out hunting on that kinda day. Glad to see you were rewarded for fighting the elements, that was some good shooting you did to collect your venison.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:47:54 am »
Nice deer, Pearlie. Nice wide rack.
 My first deer was with a .50 cal. Hawkins at about 80yards back in the early 80's. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:59:18 am »
Really nice buck Chris.That brings back memories of the 80s' for me too.Those front stuffers do the job.Imagine the rut is still going on pretty good by you yet too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:06:01 am »
Congrats, Chris!!
Good to see that sumpin good came from that snowstorm ya'll had. Mom was cursing it.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:12:25 am »
Ed the rut is the ONLY reason he came home with me. I've hunted muzzleloaders for a good while, always my firearm of choice in any gun season. So I know how to care for them and hunt them. Never had a misfire, until last night. I had a bunch of frisky does around me and he come prancing in at 25 yards trying to get closer to them, I put the bead right on his ribs and "pop" goes the cap. He bounds off, but very slowly. The does stay put and continue chasing each other and dinking around. I put another cap on, sit down and start swearing. Deer like that are rare for me. It was snowing hard all night and I had my hand over the lock the whole time. No reason for damn mis-fire, just none. I never in 30 years of hunting expected him to return. Maybe 30 minutes later I hear another doe grunting her head off behind me. I turn my head and see her acting all funky and twirling, in heat I'm sure. Just behind her another 100 yards is this guy, again. He couldn't help himself. Eventually she made her way past me at 75 yards and hopped the fence into the native grass patch. He put his nose down, tail half way up and started on her path. When he got to the fence I shot. He was gone is less than 5 seconds. I sat back down, this time not swearing mad. But thankful, dismayed, and flabbergasted! Deer like him NEVER come back. I cant tell you why my damn gun mis-fired, as just the same, I cant tell you why he returned like he did.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 10:07:31 am »
 ::)

Thank God for small favors...

8)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 10:09:13 am »
They do that.Mother nature is hard to resist.You were at the right place at the right time.Everyone eventually gets their turn.That's why it's good to have a lot of does having fawns in the spring on your property.Where they are Mr. buck will be eventually.Good to see your Thanksgiving work out for ya.Still got my muzzleloader here too.Had it 35 years.Mine's a 54 cal. Johnathon Browning Hawken.Lost track of the numbers of deer I've shot with it.I will say this everyone I've hit with it has died somewhere.I'm old school though and just shoot a round patched ball.I hav'nt been plagued with miss fires any.I'll dry patch it good and then blow about 5 to 10 grains through the nipple hole to make sure she's dry.You can make yourself a little nipple cover to sit in the rain or snow.I've used mine lots of times.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 11:01:43 am »
Nice shooting eh!  That snowy picture looks great.  I bet you worked up a sweat dragging that whopper out. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 12:01:16 pm »
Hellava buck, congrats.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 01:23:56 pm »
Hell of a nice buck pearly, good thing he was thinking with the little brain 😄
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DGF

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 02:00:46 pm »
Nice job! That muzzleloaders been treating you real good!

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »
Good job Chris....He looks like a nice mature buck... TC made some very nice guns back in the 70's and 80's.  My "82" 54 cal. is my deer rifle of choice for my Kentucky woods.
Again congrats...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking