Author Topic: Question on set and induced reflex  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Question on set and induced reflex
« on: November 17, 2015, 06:15:01 pm »
I've finally got around to working on the walnut reflex-deflex that I started at MoJam this year. It had a natural reflex deflex shape, so I steamed and heat treated the limbs to set the tips a little i front of the handle since they were originally set level with the belly side of the handle. When I got it to an even full brace all the induced reflex pulled out and the tips are back level with the same spot of the handle. It might have to do with the weight being so high at that point. It pulled my goal of 45# at only 4". But I've since got it back to a 21" draw with a goal of 26" and it hasn't taken any more set. Is it normal for the induced reflex to pull out and then stop gaining set? And would it hurt anything for me to put the reflex back? I probably won't, but am curious if I could. The total set right now is about 2 1/2" but it's back to it's original shape. I havnt run across this before and was curious about it. I'm actually more excited to get the bow done so I can put the finish on and see the colors pop than I am to shoot it. There are lots of green, honey, purple, and chocolate colors that look good without finish or even smooth sanding.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline sleek

Re: Question on set and induced reflex
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:24:19 pm »
I recall that stave. I seem to recollect osage shavings being tossed your way as I worked next to you. Id bet the reflex pulled out from excessive string tension at brace because you braced it too soon in the tillering process. Put it back now and id venture it stays.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:36:12 pm »
Yup, I remember you turning out that awesome splinter of an osage bow next to me by the time I even had this one flexing much. I did try to hurry this now along at the wrong points in time. Though now I know where I can go quick and where I should take my time. I'm already excited for MoJam to come back around. I want to try to kbar method from start to finish next time.
I'll give putting the reflex back a try and see what happens. Then I gotta decide if I should keep it for myself since its sized for me and I havnt kept any of my better bows for myself. or give it to my Grampa since it'll be such a pretty bow he can look at even though he probably can't shoot it due to arthritis and I havnt given him one yet.

Kyle

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:53:20 pm »
<snip>I'm already excited for MoJam to come back around. I want to try to kbar method from start to finish next time.
<snip>
Kyle

OMG!!!  Not another K-Bar bowyer!!!  There can be only ONE!

OneBow
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:08:59 pm by Onebowonder »