Author Topic: Heavy weight bows  (Read 21045 times)

bownarra

Re: Heavy weight bows
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2015, 03:32:14 am »
I've just sawn up some labernum logs that were in my stash and got some sweet straight grained lams. I don't have any plum but labernum is also highly elastic......
I might have a crack at make this - just for giggles.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2015, 11:02:27 am »
The reason I would have used Plum, or Osage, instead of Yew is because of the density of the wood.  Top grade Yew would work well but it would have to be high density wood and I don't have any that is suitable.  A bow made from lower density wood would have to be made physically bigger in size

This style of recurve would be my choice for such a bow

I may think about making such a bow when I have nothing better to do
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:24:49 pm by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2015, 11:16:00 am »
  A bow of that style even approaching 100# would be a sight to behold. If you ever get the urge to build something in the 100# range or even slightly less I am sure Joseph the hungarian flight shooter would love to shoot it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »
I would just make it  a self reflexed static, no deflex or splice.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2015, 02:57:54 pm »
Steve
For regular flight or broadhead?  Is 100# his limit?

In some ways Pat a straight handle recurve would be harder to make.  First of all the bow would have to be made longer and second it would be harder to brace especially if it had a fair bit of relfex. 

A tough build anyway you look at it

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2015, 03:28:29 pm »
The length would depend on the size and angle of the recurves.  I don't think it would  have to be longer than 64-65 inches if the width was right and the statics about four inches long.
 I would smoothly crown by sanding ridges down and sinew back unless an unusually smooth back was available. Even natural ripples and waves on a clean back would be risky.
 Not too many woods actually grow that way.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2015, 09:02:29 am »
I wouldn't make a 65" recurve for a 30" draw unless it was sinew backed and I wouldn't make a sinew backed bow for someone unless they specifically asked for it.  Too much maintenance with sinew for most people

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2015, 12:29:22 pm »
Steve
For regular flight or broadhead?  Is 100# his limit?

In some ways Pat a straight handle recurve would be harder to make.  First of all the bow would have to be made longer and second it would be harder to brace especially if it had a fair bit of relfex. 

A tough build anyway you look at it

Mark, I think a bow like that would perform equally as well for broadhead or flight.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2015, 09:28:47 am »
Steve
I think the major problem would be the string.  Such a bow would have extremely high string tension and the need for a natural string in Primitive Flight would make it next to impossible to keep a string together

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 08:31:18 am »
What a bow!!!Just my observation here are there any flight bow shooters that use an Egyption style design bow?Angular so to speak.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WillS

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 08:33:27 am »
Steve
I think the major problem would be the string.  Such a bow would have extremely high string tension and the need for a natural string in Primitive Flight would make it next to impossible to keep a string together

Would it have a higher tension than a 180lb longbow? 

Offline Badger

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 08:42:48 am »
  Beadman, I have played with the angular bows quite a bit from all wood designs. I have a huge problem making weight with them and when I do make weight I have a problem with stability at brace, for some reason they really want to twist. Bows like Mark's in the above picture tend to be about the fastest from what I have tested but even at that the differences in well made wood bows is not huge. The amount of reflex seems to be the biggest single factor as long as mass is kept under control.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 08:51:45 am »
Steve

A 60# recurve like the one above has higher string tension than a 100# longbow

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2015, 09:22:54 am »
Steve

Have you heard any word on how Joe Gibbs is making out with that 156 pound(I think) composite Adam sent him?

Offline PatM

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2015, 09:28:39 am »
What a bow!!!Just my observation here are there any flight bow shooters that use an Egyption style design bow?Angular so to speak.

Jaap Koppedrayer had an Assyrian type bow at the  salt flats a few years ago.

It seems that the best design for flight is still the reflex/recurved bow. Even if deflex strains the wood less a reflex still seems to hold the edge in the best shots a bow has in it