Author Topic: Heavy weight bows  (Read 21043 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: Heavy weight bows
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 01:58:07 pm »
If a guy wants to shoot a 200 lb bow,then i say have at it,as long as hes not sayin i hafta shoot it ;)

If hes buggin others to build it for him and they dont want to,then i say,pick up some tools and get to wittlin.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 02:20:15 pm »
Doesn't Big Jim build them that heavy often enough?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline willie

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 02:24:06 pm »
Pope and Young killed Grizzly with selfbows of around 75-85 pounds. Many would say that's more than necessary.

good point Pat, did they use stone points?
(I forgot to mention that part)

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 02:38:54 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDj8fxwlZo
Yes, I know it's a glass bow but it gives you an idea.

I've seen a guy who has never shot a bow before, pick one up, draw it, and then let loose with the wrong hand. On a weak bow, it made his nose bleed... On a bow like that one, it would drive him into the ground like a tent peg.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Able Arrow

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 04:57:51 pm »
I'm new to primitive and bow making (really new) but I'm not a stranger to heavyweight bows. I regularly shoot 70-85. 75 being my favorite weight. I had a 102 FG longbow I recently sold. It was fun while I owned it, but couldn't justify keeping it around as I didn't shoot it often enough.

When I first started shooting traditional,  I started with 40lb bows. This was at the recommended advice of many. I used to think there was no way I could shoot over 60lbs. Then one day a friend showed up with a 70lb longbow and I said what the hay. I tried it and was surprised that I was able to handle it. It was all down hill for me then. You never know till you try, right?

I'm planning on parting with almost all my FB bows, to start the making process. I still need some more equipment to get up and running and I intend to make bows in the 30-100 range for fun.  I figure if I'm capable of shooting these weights, then why not make them. I'm sure there will come a time when I cant. Untill then, I'm going to lean forward in the saddle and enjoy it for all its worth. I don't plan to do this to sell bows or make money., but if I had a friend ask for a 150lb recurve,  sure I'll attempt it. But thats me. I like to try new things and challenge myself. The gentleman that asked for that bow will find someone to make it for him eventually. It's pretty cool to think that he had the confidence in you to make a bow for him in that weight. Not many people will make one that can handle it. I'd try it, but that's just me. I'd just want to see if I was capable of doing it. If I tried and didn't succeed, at least I'd know what I was capable of.

It's all about enjoyment.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2015, 05:44:51 pm »
Well Able, I've made a lot of heavy weight bows and 150# wouldn't be the heaviest I've made.  I started turning them down when I was diagnosed with Osteo in my shoulders a couple years ago.  I have no doubt I could make this bow, I'm just not interested....enough
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 05:51:30 pm »
What would be your material choice? Sinew or not?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 06:00:00 pm »
I suggested Plum backed with Maple

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Able Arrow

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 06:22:01 pm »
Marc, sorry to hear of the diagnosis. Gotta keep health first my friend. Sounds like you have had an amazing track record.  Anything over 100 in my eyes is very impressive. Over 150 is astonishing. I hope to have a quarter of your experience. Be well.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 07:11:28 pm »
well maybe I could hit 150#, if I started with a 12 foot stave,, and then piked it a bit   :)

blackhawk

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 10:11:13 pm »
I can count fingers on one hand how many guys could actually pull this exact bow off that this guys wants. Aint many folks around that can build a 150# R/D Static recurve all wood bow thats gonna last.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 02:28:17 pm »
How many strands of B50 would you need for that string?  >:D

bownarra

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:42 pm »
Sounds like it would be an interesting challenge to make a recurve like that.
Out of interest what dimensions would you use for a bow like that Marc? Length and width? I mean for initial 'rough out'.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 07:48:03 am »
Sounds like it would be an interesting challenge to make a recurve like that.
Out of interest what dimensions would you use for a bow like that Marc? Length and width? I mean for initial 'rough out'.

Such a bow could probably be made as a selfbow with the right piece of wood but I would have made it as a composite.  Plum heat bends well, is very strong, and is a very elastic wood and those are some of the reasons I would have used that.  The bow would have been a DR (deflex recurve) and the length would be around 65" overall for a 30" draw.  Limb width to start would be 2", backing of Maple 3/16" thick with the Plum core 3/4" thick.  Probably a bit overkill in dimensions but I've never made a recurve this heavy so better to start that way.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 12:18:16 pm »
And you'll need a hydraulic press to get it braced >:D