Author Topic: Heavy weight bows  (Read 21564 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Heavy weight bows
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 08:54:23 am »
  I know this one big hispanic guy that has been shooting over 100# recurves for 3d shoots and normal target shoots. He also has a 30" draw. I wonder if it is the same guy.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 11:09:22 am »
Im with you Marc. Wouldn't even want to attempt a recurved flat bow that heavy. Not even a thought! If I was forced? It wouldn't be cheap.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 11:27:30 am »
HOLY UNDERWEAR!
If I made a 150# bow out of White Oak, which I've been using a LOT of lately, then at a 28" draw length, and a 70" NTN length, that would make for a bow that is 0.57 inches thick, and 4.92 inches wide...  Now THAT's a monster bow.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 11:57:39 am »
  I know this one big guy that has been shooting over 100# recurves for 3d shoots and normal target shoots. He also has a 30" draw. I wonder if it is the same guy.

Is there any kind of logic for this or is it just a macho thing?

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 11:58:28 am »
HOLY UNDERWEAR!
If I made a 150# bow out of White Oak, which I've been using a LOT of lately, then at a 28" draw length, and a 70" NTN length, that would make for a bow that is 0.57 inches thick, and 4.92 inches wide...  Now THAT's a monster bow.

I made several white oak cross bows years ago that started off at close to 300# at 24". They were about 76" long and about 5" wide. They were built as recurves but I ended up leaving the curves on as dummies and nocking the bows toward the bottom of the curve. They ended up taking horrific set and loosing close to 100# once they were shot in.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 12:12:44 pm »
  I know this one big guy that has been shooting over 100# recurves for 3d shoots and normal target shoots. He also has a 30" draw. I wonder if it is the same guy.

Is there any kind of logic for this or is it just a macho thing?
The natural strength range for people encompasses this sort of weight. If it's just as easy for this guy as it is for a normal person to shoot 50, why not?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 12:18:02 pm »
I have not made a bow heavier than 70# yet. I would like to make a warbow just for the learning experience. Might even be fun to try learning to shoot it. But I have a hard time understanding 150# recurve. I would do the same with such a request as you Marc, simply ask a price that reflects the level of cursing involved with the build.  :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 12:51:23 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDj8fxwlZo
Yes, I know it's a glass bow but it gives you an idea.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »
Good for ONE thing Pat. Shooting paper or dirt.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 01:05:51 pm »
Nah. It would shoot through a car door and nail a bad guy. Not a bad thing these days.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 01:25:03 pm »
  I know this one big hispanic guy that has been shooting over 100# recurves for 3d shoots and normal target shoots. He also has a 30" draw. I wonder if it is the same guy.

Sounds like the guy Steve
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 01:25:54 pm »
Nah. It would shoot through a car door and nail a bad guy. Not a bad thing these days.

Zombies maybe?

Offline willie

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 01:43:02 pm »
so if the target was something like this, what would you use?

I have a young man in the neighbor hood that wants to try it primitive

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2014-05-15/sohi-senior-bags-brown-bear-with-a-bow

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 01:47:18 pm »
I started another watbow out of elm I got from pearlie but opted for a lower weight so I would enjoy shooting it.

That guys shoulder isn't gonna like him later in life. I hope he does his stretches
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 01:49:07 pm »
Pope and Young killed Grizzly with selfbows of around 75-85 pounds. Many would say that's more than necessary.