Author Topic: question about potential backing  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
question about potential backing
« on: November 12, 2015, 07:04:08 pm »
Hello fellow stick benders. I was contemplating using sausage casing as a backing. I found an old thread were it seems the consensus is that it would work. TTBB II refers to using the elastic part of the gut(used in tennis rackets) as a sinew substitute, but that's a far cry from the casings I have in the freezer.  I'm just wondering if anyone actual tried it out and their opinions on it.

thanks in advance for any useful info
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question about potential backing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:24:20 pm »
Using it as sinew? or just as a covering?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:10:44 pm »
My intent was to use it as a simple backing to prevent splinters from lifting.  I have access to plenty of sinew so I have no need to experiment there. I wanted something that would be relatively clear. I was planning on using raw hide but, would need to buy some. I'm big on acquiring my hobby supplies for no cost if possible.

I also saw that it was used as a natural protective covering for sinew backed bows done with hide glue. 
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:43:04 pm »
That's all it is good for. You have to think about the strength of the material and visualize what you are asking it to do.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 08:56:14 pm »
Personally I would say use the casing to contain sausage meat and trade the finished product to someone who has some rawhide to spare .... Then it's free rawhide.

With that said, I've never used either .... So what the heck am I talking for?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 10:36:03 pm »
Pat,
 You're fairly confident that it will at least keep splinters down? I have some silk-like fabric available if that would be better. I was hoping to preserve the natural wood look. I have an elm that was dried with the under bark attached. I had to sand it off and I blew the first few rings in a couple spots. It's my first elm bow and it's turning out decent. I'd hate to blow it up on the tiller tree.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 10:50:17 pm »
No, I think it's only good as a sinew cover. Get some rawhide and next time dampen the inner bark and scrape it off with a spoon.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 11:26:43 pm »
10-4 thanks
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 12:59:45 am »
What it does work for is wrapping on arrows. I got some from the grocery store. I soaked it for an hour or so and rinsed it, I tied a knot in one end and blew it up like a balloon. Tied off the other end and hung it up to dry. When it was dry I cut into 1/4" wide strips with scissors. So now I have 1/4" by about 5 foot strips. When I want to use it, I soak it in hide glue and wrap it on. It is quite strong but I don't think it would contain a splinter of any kind. I've thought of trying to make a bowstring with it but haven't got there yet.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 08:52:14 am »
I've heard of Indians taking the whole intestine of a deer and incasing the bow.A gut covered bow.Seems to me there was a build-a-long of this once too.A lot of flushing and cleaning of the intestine which you would'nt have to do.Then it was greased and smoked for a water proofing affect.No added draw strength at all.Never tried it myself but can see the reasoning of it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed