Author Topic: Large main beamed 6 point  (Read 12962 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Large main beamed 6 point
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 08:42:33 pm »
I tried to age this deer by the molar wear etc.He could be at least 6 to 7 years old I guess.Could of sent the front incisers in to be analyzed.I butchered him myself.Boning him out.Weighed everything and all the parts.The guts was estimated by a formula by taking 1.28% times the dressed weight.Came up with 385#'s.I know it's hard to believe.I know one thing for sure he sure was more of a chore to drag out than any does I ever shot.Might be the biggest one I'll ever shoot I don't know.My fiberglass hunting buddies who have shot many more deer than me all say they would of shot him.Coon hunting was my thing.I usually just try to make meat you know.Making bows since 2009 and shot a number of deer with these bows and still get a charge out of the hunt even when not getting a shot.Just euro mounted this fella is all.The hide I'll brain tan like all of the rest only this sucker is at least 17 to 18 square feet stretched out I'm sure.I'm in southern Iowa here and have outfitters all around me doing their video shows for the outdoor channel.In northern Missouri too.They are a pain for sure.Anytime money gets in the way the fun goes out of it.That's what turned me off of coonhunting a bit too.The competition hunts,pups,and studs.I'm keeping it simple and fun with this primitive bow hunting.Nothing like it.Thanks and good luck to all you guys.Have fun.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »
congrats, nice shooting,,, maybe i missed it,, what kinda bow,, looks nice :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 07:06:11 pm »
Winged elm holmgaard.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 08:41:00 pm »
Sweet!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 12:59:46 pm »
The heaviest deer on record by the DNR is 511#'s and that was in southern Minnesota I've read.Here's a little different view of this deer.I know his neck circumference would't go into a 5 gallon pale on end.The tractor behind him is 9 foot tall at the roof.I had to stand up on the tractor tire and jump off it to hoist him up and I weigh about 170#'s.

Talked to a couple of other bow hunters in the area and they said they had been trying to take him out for a couple of years.The compounders...lol.See these kind of bucks are called cull bucks because they don't want them to sire more fawns with lesser points.Anyway I told them they did'nt need to worry about him any more.That's ok with me.It's just another hunting season.There are bigger deer here than that yet that I've seen and did'nt get a shot at.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:45:40 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 10:58:22 pm »
  SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I seen a couple 300 pounders and 5 or 6 over 200 pounds. He looks 300 plus. Ageing not that hard. Google it saw a molor count the rings. I age all my bucks and frinds bucks came from my area.

He's 5 or 6 at least.

Got to love those heavy dogwood arrows.

Been my favoret for 10 or 12 years.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 08:27:10 pm »
Nice buck.congratulations.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 07:09:51 am »
Thanks fellas.The winged elm self bow that got him kinda holds a place with me now.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Thunder

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 10:02:01 pm »
Congrats Beadman!
Nice looking bow and quiver as well.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 07:12:29 pm »
ok looks like a hard 4 away shot,, could you tell what you hit,, on the inside,, I am curious about the penetration,?
I would have waited till next morning too,, just in case,, :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 07:48:13 pm »
I shot him with a 2 blade Zwickey on a 620 grain dogwood with my winged elm self bow.He was quartering away from me when I shot.Just what I wanted & 20 yards from the base of the tree.I was 15 feet up in tree.A big oak.In the evening.He never knew what hit him.That's why he did'nt run that far.I'm sure he was dead before midnight but did'nt want to excite him any.Hit him in the liver with about 16" of penetration at a quartering away angle.A hard liver shot deer will die somewhere.It showed when I gutted him.You can see from the picture I provided.
I always watch where my feathers end up after shooting and the deer leaves.I knew he was hit hard in the vitals.It was just up to me to wait.When a deer runs a little ways after being shot like that that broadhead tears more stuff up in there.If he would of been broadside it would have been a paunch shot more than likely.Successful recovery percentage goes down then.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 09:58:49 am »
Here's a few pics of bow.It was made 9/8/13.It's got a black rat snake on it.I'd like to get ahold of another stave of that winged elm sometime.It does'nt grow around here.Very good bow wood.I'll have to go to the trading post and see if someone wants to trade a good osage or hickory stave.Might be the wrong catagory to show the bow....but it's related to the hunt.Not the best of pictures but as they say around here it's all we got.

[/URL]

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:15:05 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 10:02:34 am »
Sorry...Here's the money shot.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:15:03 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 01:26:46 pm »
thanks Beadman for the extra info,, I always learn something from someone's successful recovery,,,I think you played that one just right,, congrats again on nice deer and bow to boot,,  :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 09:05:12 pm »
Congratulations!  Man, that is a stud if I have ever seen one.  You don't need many like that to fill up a freezer!  He is truly magnificent.  When your post started with a red arrow on the ground at fifty yards, I had a feeling it would end well.   I wish we had deer that big walking around in our neck of the woods.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi