Author Topic: Bow Woods and styles BRAONSTORMING FOR AMATEUR BOWYER  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Bkingston216

Bow Woods and styles BRAONSTORMING FOR AMATEUR BOWYER
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:45:38 pm »
Hi there everyone! I'm Brandon and I'm a budding bowyer! My first bow was a hickory flatbow and was also my first successful bow. I want to know all the other kinds of bows ibcould possibly make! Woods and sources, I have a great arrow wood source, but so far, pinehollowlongbows.com is too pricy, and eBay is only green unsealed wood. Thanks!

Offline bubby

Re: Bow Woods and styles BRAONSTORMING FOR AMATEUR BOWYER
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:31:32 am »
Hey brandon welcome, there are more bow woods than i want to list , but hickory, osage, yew, hard maple and all the oaks will do the job
If you just go threw posts on here you will find out lots also try and read the bowyers bibles, you can buy them or check the library, i personally got all the copys for our library, have fun and good luck
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:48:48 am »
Ignoring wood types you have enough choices of type to last a lifetime.
short, long
wide, narrow
pyramid, parallel
snakey, straight
Molle, taper
D section, rectangular section
bend in the handle, rigid in the handle
Arrow shelf, no arrow shelf.

Just looking at those basic choices gives you 2^8 combinations I think (maths isn't my thing) which is 256  >:D
We haven't even started in backed, unbacked. Reflexed, flipped tips, deflex/reflex.
Factor in those and there's easilly 1000. if you make one a month, that will keep you going for 83 years ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:54:55 am »
Welcome to our little pub brandon!!! :) good advice above...start researching n reading everything you can...pick something that draws your attention and just go for it...n when ya run into an issue and need 2nd opinions then ask away here n folks will set you straight if your willing to listen ;)

Offline scp

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:06:19 pm »
Find a local guy who is willing to sell whole logs. I get a whole hickory tree of 12 inch diameter for about $100 delivered. I get at least 20 good staves out of it.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:51:52 pm »
Also, fine bows can be made out of hardwood lumber. Go to your local hardwood supplier and look through the stacks for straight grained hickory, hard maple, white ash, or white oak as these are fairly common hardwoods that make fine bows. Find a style you like and stick with it, every style has it's pros and cons but there will usually be one you really like.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Ardent

• Imgur albums of my work
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:57:17 pm »
And then you have to decide if you want self nocks, tip overlays, or horn nocks...