Author Topic: mystery wood bow /Osage sapwood bow  (Read 10749 times)

riverrat

Re: mystery wood bow
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 06:38:16 pm »
this is a slightly different take on flat belly tillering. i call it lensticular tillering. yes its flat down the center but a little ways on the edges its tillered to take off the edges from the belly to almost the back. so they almost meet up. not quite or it would splinter, i know from doing this, but you can get it pretty close to make your limbs weight  less than if it was a perfect flat tiller. i know i know, osage sapwood dont make a bow and theres no other tillering that will work other than flat. lmbo. stay tuned. ;) Tony

riverrat

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »
45 lbs. at brace . when unstrung about 1/2 in. follow. if left for a hour it goes away. so i think ill shoot for 45 at 24 inches. to be safe.from this point forward its going to be slow going, shave a little, check tiller, check weight, shave a little , check tiller, check weight move tiller string to next notch, shave a ...Tony
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:36:43 pm by riverrat »

riverrat

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2015, 02:40:06 pm »
left limb needs shaved from mid handle area to end of first scallop to the left. just a tad needs taken off to make it perfect. then back to it.Anyone else see anything else? had to put together a string for it. so it took a minute. i like to wax /fat it as i make it then let it set under tension awhile after its made to stretch it far as it will go. {hemp} i used 5 strands of the .2 polished hemp string from walmarts. twisted to right, then doubled over, twisted to left., 10 pounds per strand doubled over is what ive always used. notice its not realy big diam. it dont need to be.  thanks Tony
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:48:47 pm by riverrat »

riverrat

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2015, 03:35:17 pm »
17 inches of draw. 45 lbs. right limb in pic looks like it needs a little shaving mid limb.

riverrat

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2015, 03:57:32 pm »
at 18 inches its perfect, 47 lbs. but after i take it off its now got that 1 inch of follow. so im going to let it set a little to see how much goes away.once i get it to 20 in. at 45 lbs if it keeps up with the 1 inch of set im going to heat bend the tips back a tad. Tony

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2015, 04:42:00 pm »
At 51" t/t, flipping the tips would help lengthen the draw without stacking.  She's looking good, Tony.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

riverrat

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2015, 04:53:59 pm »
thanks Pat. 20 inches :) and 45 lbs.Tony wow just looked at that . pretty much dead on!

riverrat

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2015, 05:23:55 pm »
o.k. ive done my best. im going to settle for 45 lbs at 22 inches. it is going to develope a tad of set. not much a inch. but im afraid if i push it any harder it will start taking a lot of set.i didnt get a 53 inch bow 1 1/2 in. wide 26 in. draw with 50 pounds of weight like i started out to do. what i did get is a 50 1/2 inch bow 1 1/2 in. wide at its widest, 45 pounds at 22 inches. so i failed. hmfff. but on the bright side. i got a sweeet bow. made of something considered not bow wood :) that does draw 45 lbs so is a legal hunting bow here in Ohio. :) o.k. i put osage sapwood about the same place as "bow wood" as white ash. made simular bows in the past simular sized and weight to draw with simular results.sure is pretty.sooo, as for the flame nock on top.....that flame represents the passion that burns in all of us for the art of making primitive bows,arrows, and primitive archery in general. that bottom nock thats round. it aint perfect round. nothings perfect. but a circle goes round infinitely.therein lays that flame of passion forever.the scallops helped get rid of the pin knots. but i was thinkin on them anyways. here in this once black swamp region of Ohio im in and in the surrounding great lakes region a number of the Native tribes had bows that werent quite long with scallops.so its fitting for this place i live.why make it of osage sapwood.? why climb a mountain? why skydive? why anything? because its a challenge.if this bow was mt everest, i didnt reach the peak, but damn as i look down i know im up there a ways :) and for now on, no one can say, osage sapwood dont work, cant make a bow, you have to remove all of it, ect. lol i like to think along this idea or mind set. if its wood, it will bend. some better than others, but it will bend! keep em bent! Tony
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:36:37 pm by riverrat »

riverrat

Re: mystery wood bow /Osage sapwood bow
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2015, 10:39:22 am »
doing some decorating.so heres a picture of that. went out and shot it this morning. not very far across the back yard with a blunt arrow. shot it at a cardboard 24 pk. box from mountain dew loaded with tore up cardboard. hits dead on every time with a few heavier spined arrows that dont work well with my elm bow. so now i have a blunt and two hunting arrows that shoot from it fine. now to make some more arrows,and a quiver.oh yea i also kicked back the tips some like Pat sugested and tillered just a little more. still drawing 45 lbs at 22 inches.also painted the edges of the scallops black. painted both tips to where the scallops start red on the back and sides.i really wanted to go out and shoot the heck out of it today. but wind machine cranking up crazy gusts today. maybe in a couple days when im off again.Tony
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:36:19 pm by riverrat »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »
Very cool Tony,  I dig the alternating scallops on each limb.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 06:14:54 pm »
Came out real nice. I'm fond of that style of bow and that one you just finished looks great, nicely done Tony.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 06:23:52 pm »
I like it a lot, too. Looking forward to seeing it outside in some good light.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

riverrat

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2015, 06:45:48 pm »
i sure plan on it. it might be a couple days though. itll be dark when i go to work. dark when i get home. but when monday gets here.... --)-     thanks everyone.    Tony

riverrat

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2015, 12:23:52 pm »
o.k. outside pics. first pic. drawn to 21 in. i have that arrow marked at 22 inches.2nd pic nocking arrow.3rd pic. side view with follow. 4th pic. back view. Tony
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:27:51 pm by riverrat »

riverrat

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »
see all the signs and the tellegraph pole leaning in picture? 50 plus winds the last 3 days or so. so glad its decent out.Tony