Author Topic: Posting direct links, a no no!  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Posting direct links, a no no!
« on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:52 am »
Lately we've had a few folks posting direct links to commercial sites. It is against our rules to post a direct link to any commercial company unless they are a sponsor of PA. Please, everyone read our rules before posting.
If you do post a direct link you will get a warning. The second warning will result in a temporary ban and another after that will result in a permanent ban...and we don't want that.
 I know there is lots of good info on line but there are ways to post that info without posting a direct link. Give the name of the company and let whomever is interested Google it. As long as you can't click directly on a link it is OK to post also.
 If anyone sees a direct link posted, either contact the poster so they can make the change or contact one of the Mods or Admins so we can make the change and we can contact the poster to explain the problem and the remedy.

Thanks,  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Posting direct links, a no no!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 03:38:05 pm »
Actually Pat I was talking to Mike Moore last year and he said to skip the warning and go directly to ban.  I have a hard time doing that and have been giving warnings but maybe that should change
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 03:55:11 pm »
Marc, I think we should as least give newbies a warning. Everyone else should know by now. This is one reason I added this thread. Maybe we should be sure anyone that wants to join should say that they have read and understand the rules.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:08:26 pm »
Marc

just reread the rules at the top of the page, and they seem pretty simple in number, just not too precise about what constitutes " commercial". I suppose those that those whom have gotten warnings understand better where the lines are drawn, but say for instance, if someone links to their website or blog to direct attention to a posting or page describing the method or technique being discussed in the thread, Is this considered a violation ?

There is a difference between sharing info, and direct endorsements of products or services.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just saying that the average poster might be a little under informed if the policy is very explicit. The policy  seems to be very important to the sponsors (understandably so), and I  presume most forumites do appreciate having that sponsorship.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 06:30:13 pm »
My suggestion is that if you want to post a link and you aren't sure if its OK or not, just PM any moderator and send them the link.  Let them determine if its against the rules or not.  I have done that in the past.  I sure don't want to get banned from PA. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 07:10:19 pm »
OO

Rule #6

No one is allowed to sell or promote their products on the Primitive Archer Message Boards, unless it is under the paid classified ad section of the board. You are still allowed to TRADE under the trading post.

this rule seems pretty clear. but I see this warning come up fairly often, so I was wondering if there is more to the policy that what is quoted above.I should hope that if the rules need more clarification, then it would be a simple matter define  the rule so the member can make a good decision when posting. I would hope that the moderators have better thing to do with their time than screen posts before they are posted. I think the moderation is done on a volunteer basis, and anything I can do to make their life easier would be for the benefit of the forum.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 08:37:24 pm »
I wonder if anyone at PA has considered making participants in the message boards pay a nominal fee so they derive revenue from them in return for allowing more freedom in posting? I can't speak for everyone (obviously), but I'd be happy to pay $5 or $10 each year for access to the message boards in return for fewer restrictions on posting.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 08:50:54 pm »
They already tried the subscription to post plan and everyone left.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 09:07:37 pm »
This rule does not make much sense to this country boy.  But let me follow that by saying I still have always followed it.  Its ok to say check out "primitive archer" but not "primitivearcher.com".  Obviously i used primitive archer as the example to not break the rule.  It would seem to me it would be all or nothing.  Saying "google this" and just putting a space between words and no .com on the end is still advertising/passing along  word of that company.  Just one of those things in life that make no sense but still have to abide by i guess.  Let me add that this is not meant to be argumentative at all.  I understand the company makes money from advertising.  Im just saying their rule does not keep anyone from advertising a company that does not pay.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 10:57:32 pm »
Don't post a direct link and you won't break the rule. There are other ways to get your point across like looking it up on Google. If you really need to post a direct link ask a Mod or Admin to look it over first like Clint suggested. If the direct link has a mention of money it is not allowed. We don't make the rules, we just enforce them.
 This comes up every year or two anyway so I thought I'd jump the gun and bring it up to help remind folks.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »
So is it then i violation if someone asks where they can find, say flint knapping tools for sale, and for us to direct them to "fake archery site.com"?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 11:23:54 pm »
That's fine. Just no link you can click on and go to a site.  The way you wrote that can be cut and pasted to Google and come up with the site.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 07:24:07 am »
You all have to remember that Primitive Archer Magazine is a business and this forum was initially setup by them for subscribers.  The advertisers, and subscribers, pay to keep this business alive so no Primitive Archer, no message board. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 07:47:07 am »
Does no one else see this as crazy?  Like jayman said, "fake archery site.com" is ok but not "fakearcherysite.com".  Completely ridiculuous.  The point is not to advertise people who dont pay for it, which is completely understandable, so then dont allow any whatsoever.  Dont allow a couple spaces added to make it OK.  You can pass along other sites and products through PM.  Maybe if it was done this way then people wouldnt break the rule on accident as much.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 08:16:02 am »
Try to click on "fakearcheryite.com" and see where it takes you! Now try " http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php? "  That's the difference!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:25:55 am by Pat B »