Author Topic: bear (boot grease)  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

bear (boot grease)
« on: November 03, 2015, 03:53:28 pm »
I was talking to a native gal, she has picked up from her elders. about rendering bear fat down to make boot grease. So we have all heard about rendering fat down to lard / cooking grease. She told me if you keep cooking it down for around 48hrs, it will become more waxy than cooking lard. She has told me it makes the best boot grease there is. I have yet to get my hands on some fat to try it. I have a couple questions.
Have you tried this or know anyone that has?
If so, what do you think about using this to protect a bow and arrow wood? It sounds like it may work better than plan fat.
I am still trying to get some fat here to try this, but bear kills are few and far between in my small circle. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bear (boot grease)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 04:36:18 pm »
Ed, I've made leather dressing with bear grease, bees wax and pine pitch. Montana Pitch Blend is similar but used mink oil instead of bear grease.
 I have also use bear grease on a few bows. I just hand rub it in. With vigorous hand rubbing the heat generated helps the grease penetrate.
A friend was rendering down bear fat and spilled some on his deck. After 5 years rain still beads up on the area where the grease spilled.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 06:57:49 pm »
A friend was rendering down bear fat and spilled some on his deck. After 5 years rain still beads up on the area where the grease spilled.
My wife use to back her car out of the garage to the same spot, wash it and Armorall her tires...when I would wash off the driveway after grass cutting it would repel water in four spots the same way....but I think I would go with bear grease on my bows.... :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:29:45 pm »
I am wondering, I have a jar of bear oil that is about the consistency of motor oil. I have also used it to rub into bows, muzzle loading stocks and leather. It has a smell but not one I find offensive. It is great for hand lotion. You guys have mentioned bear grease so I am wondering if it is the same as bear oil. I always think of grease being a thick or firm texture rather than an oil.  Whats the difference?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:53:00 pm »
Its the same. Bear grease(oil) congeals as it cools. The oil might be more refined or filtered.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:27:31 am »
Ed,
In 2012 I went on an Alberta bear hunt with some friends and we made bows for that hunt, another friend gave me some bear grease after I mentioned that I wanted to put a bear fat finish on my bear hunting bow.It's great stuff, just rub it into the bow, it makes a great finish, I thought at first that I'd have to reapply the grease often but after 3 years water still beads up on the bow. This year I steel wooled the bow and put more grease on it, just because I wanted to, it did not really need it.
I also rendered the fat from the bears that I got on the hunt and keep it in a jar in the fridge, it's like pure white lard. I never used it on boots but I've heard of using it that way also heard of using it on chapped lips and hands, it's really great stuff!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 06:14:10 pm »
Very interesting. I'll have to see what my
 wildlife butcher can scare up for  :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:53:29 am »
My dad and uncle would render beaver fat and rub it on their boots.
Northern Ute