Author Topic: A Blast from the Past,...pics & video  (Read 2622 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

A Blast from the Past,...pics & video
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:39:37 pm »
So yesterday I was looking in my wood pile for a new project and tucked in a corner full of dust I noticed this old bow I made maybe 11-12 years ago, must have been my 6th or 7th.

I was curious to see if it still was capable of shooting, never got a pig with this bow but I hunted it and shot plenty

Full of dust

This was when I made it,....man I made ugly bows then  ;D ;D ;D

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/NorthShoreLB/library/Bamboo%20red%20oak?sort=3&page=1

Cleaned it up and put it on a string

I did some short pulls and could hear some creaking, took the handle wrap of and sure enought the wood wanted to came off on one side

I considered taking the riser off and do something new but I wanted to shoot the bow today, I had no superglue yesterday so I whent to get some this morning and poured it into the delam

I than braced the bow to higher brace and did some pulling on the tree

At this point I decided to shoot it and take a video in the process, either was going to succeed ir at least I would get a BOOOOOM on camera  ;D ;D ;D

so here is the video, shooting a bow that was dormant for I would say at least 10 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSYj6XJHqHA&feature=youtu.be

Well, the bow shot remarcably well so I'm gonna slap a new grip on and use it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: A Blast from the Past,...pics & video
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 07:28:50 am »
This is the bow that was never Supposed to be.

Bamboo backed Red Oak, not to wide and thick limbs,
 the bow that shouldn't ever made it  ;) ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »
Nice recovery! I've got one of those bows too. The one that shouldn't have survived. It now has small cracks in the bamboo backing. Anyway, cool bow. Good to see it still shooting, go shoot a pig with it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 04:28:05 pm »
Thanks,

I'm more excited about this old, ugly bow than I'm about the new ones I just made  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 07:50:34 pm »
nice save,,, looks like it shoots great

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:23:55 am »
Nice resurection...i wouldve just made myself a new one..lol...but whatever works best for you ;)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:06:11 am »
Nice resurection...i wouldve just made myself a new one..lol...but whatever works best for you ;)

I have 3 Bows on the bench pretty close to the final act, but to get to shoot this old ugly bow was way more exciting than making a new one  ;)

Got a new grip on it and been shooting the Crap out of it, if it's still in one piece by the end of the week I try making a couple more videos.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 10:46:49 pm »
Manny,

Nice to see the fire burnin in ya again.I sorta got sidetracked by life lately and drifted away from archery for a bit. Seeing your posts recently,have lit a fire under me as well.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 01:40:56 pm »
Manny,

Nice to see the fire burnin in ya again.I sorta got sidetracked by life lately and drifted away from archery for a bit. Seeing your posts recently,have lit a fire under me as well.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 02:36:46 pm »
Like Traxx said  :)

Manny, The first primitive archer magazine I picked up had a painting of a mammoth on the front with a group of hunters taking it down. I saw it on the newsstand and had to see what was inside this magazine. There was this picture of some baddass surfer looking dude with a bow he had made from a piece of wood and this gnarly buttressed tree in the background, and apparently you were featured for winning some monthly contest for the best bow. I bought the magazine and started of dreaming about making my wood bows. That was about 6-7 years ago.

By the way, you were shirtless.  So whenever someone gives me flack for a shirtless Full draw shot, I reply, Manny started it.

Way to bring that old bow back to service.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 03:13:03 pm »
We're all just jealous and wish we had the balls(and belly) to go shirtless ;)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 06:55:25 pm »
LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Been shooting the bow a lot, definitely more than 100 arrows a day

It creaks like an old Barn door  ;D ;D but,it shoots very well.

I'll keep shooting it hard all week if by than it's still in one piece I'll take a couple of videos, hopefully you can hear it creaking in them  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII