Author Topic: Best wood for bamboo  (Read 9807 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Re: Best wood for bamboo
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 09:03:11 pm »
I highly suggest them for a bomb proof, no breaking type bow when done right. Unless your into explosions? :)

With any belly wood, grain matters. Get the cleanest most straight osage grain you can find. Couple that with good sturdy, dry boo and you have one hell of a good combo.
haha I don't mind explosions as long as they aren't bows. Thanks for the help pearl. You know where I can get any Osage slats?
I have made several Osage slat bows backed with Bamboo and all shoot great. I second Pine Hollow and Tree Rivers.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 11:11:42 pm »
Thanks guys for the help I think I'm gonna go Osage slats unless I come across some ipe some how.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 02:55:57 am »
Anywhere that sell decking material will have Ipe.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 05:12:41 am »
Best of luck with your build whatever you go with. I found a store with some Ideas locally and I'd love to give it a go with a boo back. But I'm daunted by its density as I only have handtools. Bubby I always enjoy seeing your work whatever stage it's at.And Ken those bows look absolutely incredible!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 10:24:29 am »
is grain orientation a huge factor with ipe?
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 12:58:23 pm »
 To a large degree, yes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 01:18:57 pm »
I've read a few times that the grain on ipe is almost impossible to read. I've never found that true. I can look at either end figure it out quite easily. I prefer slat bows have the same type of grain Id look for if I was building a straight up board bow. Good ingredients equal good bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »
is grain orientation a huge factor with ipe?

As with most bows the grain is important and when looking for good slats. Just sight down the board and let you eyes tell you whether or not it will be a good candidate. That being said I have gotten a little desperate and gone for some not so choice pieces and they worked just fine.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 10:57:57 am »
When it comes to ipe is edge grained preferred over face grained?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 11:42:42 am »
Marc made a nice bamboo backed yellow heart not long ago,i think it's also called Pau amerello or some thing like that?not sure?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 09:17:14 am »
When it comes to ipe is edge grained preferred over face grained?

It never mattered to me. I just want straight grain with no pins or swirls. They tend to give up the ghost on ipe.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 12:43:08 pm »
Thanks good Chris

Offline paleryder

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 01:15:05 pm »
Beautiful bows, Ken.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 06:36:51 pm »
Just thought I would mention TRA is having a sale on slats right now $34 each plus shipping which put a little cheaper than others right now. They arrived yesterday and are damn near perfect. Best I got so far.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 09:51:07 am »
thought I'd mention that with ipe , if you do get hold of it, then the main problem is knots, even the small, hardly visible pin knots will often cause compression fractures on the belly....so dont but ipe with knots...the grain is obviously better straight if you can get it,  , but I have used run off grains on bellies with no problems at all, many times...and I believe it is absolutely the best match for bamboo, its a lot harder than osage, so therefore it will perform different to osage, one will be better than the other, IMHO ipe matches boo best....of course then there is boo and there is boo!!

Dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......