Author Topic: Hide Help  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Zuma

Hide Help
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:35:05 pm »
I would like to tan a buck's hide with hair on. I had the butcher leave me the skin with the head on.
Is it advisable to try to skin out the neck ears and whatever I can salvage around the antlers?.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Hide Help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:22:10 pm »
Zuma, you want to clean all the meat and tissue from all the hide. The ears are actually two layers which is a front and back. A dull thin stick or butter knife may be used to separate the two layers. I have a tool that looks like long pliers but when you squeeze them they spread apart. I slowly push them inbetween the two layers and spread the ear layers apart. It allows your tanning solution to get in there. Around the eyes, nose and lips special care is needed in removing additional fats and tissues.

Tanning solutions can be chrome tan, Luftan tan, vegetable tan or an alum tan. They all give different results. A good tanning oil should be used after the tan.

I know that is not specific but a lot goes into tanning. Look online a Van Dykes Taxidermy website. They offer "kits" for do it yourself tanning and what results you can expect. Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:54 am »
You could try the primitive way and brain tan it. Although I'm not sure I'd want my first try to be with a buck skin....
Trevor

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 12:40:06 pm »
Zuma

a good trapping book will have info on skinning and fleshing. Sometimes skins are collected for the taxidermy market, and some books have more than the usual details needed for taxidermy work. there are lots of tips and tricks to fleshing and hide prep, but few shortcuts.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 01:16:26 pm »
There are premixed tanning solutions on the market. Check out Crazy Crow or Moscow Hide and Fur or maybe a local taxidermy supply.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:17:45 pm »
Or Bass Pro and Cabellas.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 02:40:10 pm »
You guys are the best
If I am hearing this correct-- Tanning hair on or scrapped is the same.
NC if you have tanned a buck hide with the head,
do you think it is worth the effort to skin the head?
I was sorta thinking of a wall hanging. Thought the
head might look better. Maybe not.
If I woos out and decide to send it off for the tanning--
Any ideas?
Thanks Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 02:45:35 pm »
Moscow Hide and Fur(info in Classified)
 When you tan with air on there is a specific process for holding the hair After that the tanning is the same
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC