Author Topic: Indian bows: Why such low brace height?  (Read 14493 times)

John32r

Indian bows: Why such low brace height?
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:07 pm »
I have noticed that the real Plains Indian bows tend to have a very low brace height. Please tell me the cause of low brace height and its advantages and disadvantages, and why they did this (when it seems to be so out of style today). Thank you.

I could post many more images, but you get the idea.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Re: Indian bows: Why such low brace height?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:52:13 pm »
John, I don't have the answer to your question, but I can definitely confirm your observations. I have wondered if it might lessen the stress on the wood of the bow. It might also keep some stress off the string. As I said,,,,,, I don't really know. I can tell you that those old-time horsemen would often string a bow while they were still on their pony. It is easy to do this if you aren't carrying an 80# bow, and easier still if your string is closer to the nock (longer string).   Curtis

John32r

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:04:29 pm »
John, I don't have the answer to your question, but I can definitely confirm your observations. I have wondered if it might lessen the stress on the wood of the bow. It might also keep some stress off the string. As I said,,,,,, I don't really know. I can tell you that those old-time horsemen would often string a bow while they were still on their pony. It is easy to do this if you aren't carrying an 80# bow, and easier still if your string is closer to the nock (longer string).   Curtis

Thanks for the information which was new to me. I have no idea how these men managed to string their bows on horseback. I find it very difficult to string my bows without standing, and yet I saw video of an Inuit man stringing his while sitting down, apparently just pulling the string by thumb. Guess I just don't know what I'm doing.

Lessening the stress on the bow would certainly be advantageous. Seems to me that it might save the string as well, and we all know how much sinew it takes to make a new bowstring. Or should I say, how little sinew an animal actually provides.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »
   Longer effective power stroke as well.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:09:38 pm »
Most of the bows had significantly shorter draws than we're used to as well, could be the short brace is for longer string travel.

Pat beat me to it.
Springfield, MO

John32r

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:21:15 pm »
Interesting. Every time I make a bow, it comes out like one of these, very low brace height. I'm partial to short bows because the only reliable bow wood in my area, various types or juniper, is so difficult to make long bows out of.

Offline KS51

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:54:32 am »
I'd say the power stroke is important.  If you had a 7" brace versus a 4" brace and had the same 28" draw and a 40lb pull, you would go from 35 ft-lbs to 40 ft-lbs of available work to impart to the arrow. Thats almost a 15%  increase.   The slightly longer string would also result in a larger radius of curvature of the limb and resultant reduced strain.

On the downside, I suspect arrow cleaance around the handle and fletching clearance could be problematic.

Ken

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 06:19:26 am »
Yes, I second KS5. The arrow gets more energy.
Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 01:51:35 pm »
1 less strain on the bow at a given draw
2 less strain on the bow when braced
3 possible increase in cast for a given bow
4 the low brace probably increased the life of the bow by reducing set
for example Tim Baker stated that if you increase the brace on your bow 1 inche, it will but the same strain as drawing your bow 2 more inches,, I am quoting from memory but you get the idea,,
a higher brace is just more strain on the bow,, if you can get the arrow to shoot well at the lower brace,, it is to the bows advantage,, more cast with less strain,,
5, for those of you that are worried about the feather making a noise at low brace,, cut that feather shorter :) or slightly draw the bow past the feather as game approaches,, :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 01:56:49 pm »
Advantage of longer power stroke, but disadvantage of more paradox as the nock gets closer to the bow before it leaves the string.
Also it might whack you on the wrist.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:35:46 pm »
I figure they needed all the power stroke they could get as their bows were subject to humidity, rain and other things that aren't good for a bow, they were probably not very highly performing weapons from our point of view due to being stored in the open air and absorbing water from the atmosphere. Making them sluggish with a lot of set most likely.

They still got the job done though and that's all that matters. :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 02:46:55 pm »
I dont think they were stored in open air,, I have read quite a bit about Ishi testing bows for distance,, I am sure some performed very well,, Ishi did not like to take his bow out in moist conditions,,, I am guessing there was a wide range in quality of bow,, just like today,, and that the gifted bow makers made a bow that would hold up to any "modern standard" :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 03:58:05 pm »
Many of the shorter bows were from the western regions where the R/H was dryer. In the east the bows were normally longer making less strain on the bow where the R/H is higher.  I know nothing about why the brace height was low on the western bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 04:10:40 pm »
What I notice about the pics is how narrow they appear! I thought they where more wide. At least that is what I see made today that's supposed to look like the ones of yesteryear.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

riverrat

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:20:44 pm »
low brace allows more energy release from the limbs. i dont mind a short bow with a short draw with a low brace. it works. i like my brace on a 53 inch bow so my fist fits loosely between the string and the belly of the bow.its a bend through the handle bow. it draws aprox. 40 + at 26 inches.theres no set.shot the bow a few hundred times since i made it. shoots great.so i like it.Tony