Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 4229 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Feathers
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:52:11 pm »
I haven't made an arrow yet, but would really like to. I have plenty of woods to use for the shafts, but no feathers. I checked the Three Rivers catalog and turkey feathers are $25 for a dozen. Not including shipping.  Does that mean you can only fletch 4 arrows with that amount? Is there someplace else I can get them that I can afford? Thanks!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DC

Re: Feathers
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:58:29 pm »
Is there any turkey farms near you? That's where I get mine.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:02:46 pm »
I don't know DC, but I'll ask around. Could be.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 12:44:16 am »
Try the trading post page on PA.  Lots of people on here have feathers
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 01:29:50 am »
My turkey season is about to open back up, If everyone gets a bird I'll have plenty of feathers. Never understood the high price on 3rivers. I don't process em anymore though, maybe your paying for the safety hazard. Shoot me a pm if your still looking in a couple weeks
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:55:53 am »
i trade for some once in awhile but to be honest, i find a lot by local streams, rivers, and lakes. its easy to tell what side of the bird the feather you find is from. i keep them in tall canisters marked left wing, right wing. when i get 2 matchers, i make a 2 feather fletch arrow. at 25 bucks per 12 feathers i wouldnt say i was a millionair or anything. but im well off. lol Tony

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 11:46:00 am »
I bought 40 primary wing feathers from a website called custom feathers. The list price was $34, but shipping was $6.
So I basically got them for a dollar a piece. Which isn't too bad I suppose. They are long turkey feathers though, I split 3 feathers and was able to get two 5" fletchings from one feather. The quill on the ends are a little small, but I think they will work.

I'd much rather find a turkey farm though and get feathers from there, but what I have now should last a while.

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 02:10:42 pm »
+1 on custom feathers. they're just down the road from me. I just buy the whole wing you get lots of useful feathers not just fletchings.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 02:37:55 pm »
Clints right, try the trading post. Lots of folks here have loads.
I can usually get 2 fletchings off a large feather, but some will only have one in it.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 03:28:25 pm »
Thank you guys! Plenty of places to get them then. I sent for some just to start some arrows, will look for a turkey farm, but especially like the idea of also just looking and finding them near water -- that could be fun and interesting in itself.  Also Tracker, kind offer, thank you.  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:31:56 pm by PlanB »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:08:02 pm »
I bought 40 primary wing feathers from a website called custom feathers. The list price was $34, but shipping was $6.
So I basically got them for a dollar a piece. Which isn't too bad I suppose. They are long turkey feathers though, I split 3 feathers and was able to get two 5" fletchings from one feather. The quill on the ends are a little small, but I think they will work.

I'd much rather find a turkey farm though and get feathers from there, but what I have now should last a while.

Ditto on them.  I buy the bags of 100 "seconds".  At the most you might throw away a couple, but I ruin more with bad stripping than I throw away from being second rate.  I can often get two fletches from one feather, too. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 09:34:27 am »
All turkey hunters throw their wings away much to my dismay. I have gathered a small circle of hunters that save their wings for me, this year I sent 40 wings and 8 or 9 fans to David Mitchell at Custom Feathers, trading the rights to get the lefts ground.

I keep one friend in arrows and bows for his clubs wings, I bet he has brought me over 200 wings in the last few years.

If you collect wings be prepared to get some maggot covered specimens which used to turn me off. Now I put on my rubber gloves and go to work on them. David will trade you primaries for secondary wing sections skinned off the bone with with the skin, quills intact and boraxed. He has the instructions for their preparation on his web site.

One friend puts and add in the local paper during turkey season that she wants wings, and gets several this way.

Do a little leg work and asking around, you can be feather"rich" by the end of turkey season next year.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 10:14:04 am »
Many states allow fall turkey hunting so ask now. Also, duck and goose season is here or coming soon. That is another source.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 08:07:53 pm »
Okay, will ask around -- guess I'll be stopping in at the country store for coffee with the boys in the morning this week! Thank you all.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »
All very good advice...........Hunters have been my best source.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking