Author Topic: fine night for frogs...  (Read 3791 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

fine night for frogs...
« on: October 23, 2015, 08:58:13 pm »
Yesterday afternoon I was suddenly finding myself in the clutches of a maniacal urge to sleep on hard, cold ground.  Being unable to talk myself out of it, I grabbed some apples, granola bars, jerky, couple water bottles and bedroll.  I rolled it all into a canvas tarp along with a few tent stakes and a hank of rope and headed for the area where I had hosted last spring's turkey camp. 

I had wandered thru a series of meadows to the north of camp and wanted to scout the area a little closer in order to determine if it would make a better site for next spring's turkey camp.  I wasn't sure I could find it right off, but what the hey? Guy has to try once in a while, right.

I found another spot that was every bit as nice as the mysterious meadow I cannot find, but this meadow also had an outcropping of Black Hills rainbow slate.  The rocks would make good windbreaks for camping in rougher weather and with the impending rain, I settled. 

Rain came on just as I was set up and settling in.  I lay on the bedroll and listened to the rain pattering on the canvas.  I read a mindless detective novel as I chewed my way thru the cold camp rations.  Now and again, my worthless dog, Lena would run thru to check on me as she harassed and harried the local chipmunk population.  Each time thru the camp, she was wetter and wetter until she resembled a hairy sponge.  My bedroll is a good quality sleeping bag, and I have it wrapped in Italian wool military blankets. 

Sunset was brief and unartistic, the change from pale grey to black happening in mere minutes.  The everpresent hushed rustle of rain on the ponderosa pines and the grass around me was a lullaby all in itself.  Lena came in walking slow and her long red tongue hanging far out the side of her gaping jowls.  I splashed some water in her bowl and dumped her kibble on the blanket next to me.  She flopped onto the blankets and proceeded to eat tidbits from my hand.  When she had licked the last crumbs from the blanket, she lay her head down and looked up at me as if to ask me to douse the single beeswax candle in my trekking lantern.  I got the hint and the weary flame battling against the entire hemisphere's darkness surrendered without a whimper. 

Lena has only camped with me once before and there were other people and several dogs along.  This was new and she was unsure of her role in this strange improvisational play. Every hour or so, something in the dark I could not hear brought her leaping to her feet and barking.  Each time it rousted me from my warm bag and revved my heart to redline and over!  It was looking to be a long and restless night.  But each time the pattering of rain on the tarp worked it's magic and I would eventually fall back in the arms of Morpheus.

I don't know how many repetitions of this played out, but the final one played differently.  Lena lifted her head and listened intently, staring into the blackness intensely.  She began to growl softly in the back of her throat.  The growl tapered off into a whine as I unholstered my .45 and desperately wondered why the hell I forgot to bring a flashlight.  One hand on the 1911, a thumb on the safety, and the other on the dog's collar. About the time I felt I oughta touch off a round, the visitors in the dark announced their presence. 

The elk rut is still on.  And I am here to tell you, the sounds of a bull elk 50 yds away in the dark is something to behold.  By the way, the campsite is now called Elk Rocks.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: fine night for frogs...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:07:12 pm »
That sounds like a fun adventure JW.  That is some beautiful country.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 09:09:55 pm »
That sounds like a fun adventure JW.  That is some beautiful country.

Come up and find out for yourself, sir.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:04:30 pm »
I would love to but I'm stuck in the wooded hills of Indiana for now.  When the nest is empty we have plans of roaming around the country a little more than we do now.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 10:57:17 pm »
You missed your calling jw you sir should of been an author
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 11:10:44 pm »

Who ever said I am not?

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 02:37:20 am »
Nice looking spot you have there. I visited your neighborhood on a M.C trip, and did few overnights with the small tarp (in the rain), west of Hill City back in June. Would like to visit again some day with a better camp and more time to explore

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:02:27 am by willie »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 02:55:01 am »
Nice story JW... mind I was waiting for the bit about frogs, but hey, maybe they turn up in the next instalment ;)
Del
PS. The signature line is spot on. I offered Jamie some Yew dust, but he assured me he has plenty of his own ::).
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 03:59:09 am »
Neat spot Jdub - enjoyed the story ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 04:22:30 am »
next morning JW awoke to find the tranquillity spoiled... >:D ;)
Del
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:28:52 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 08:50:10 am »
Nice story.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 09:25:42 am »
Quote from: bubby link=topic=54575.msg741582#msg741582 date=144
[/quote

Who ever said I am not?

You saying you are? Holding out on us John
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 11:38:33 am »
Didn't read anything about frogs! Very nice regaling!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 04:04:44 pm »
Nice story, and a fun adventure.   A dog is always a good companion, on a camping trip.  And a good sentinel.  I only have my black cat Andy now, and he would not make a good camping companion.  He would leave to go exploring, and possibly end up a meal, for a bigger cat, coyote, wolf, Horned owl, or something, that would like a nice tasty, fat cat for a meal.  Hunting season started today.  Too bad you were not set for hunting season.  When I was a kid, I used to take one of my dogs with me.  Yeah, rain has that way, of closing your eyes, when you are relaxing, and dry, and not in the rain itself.  Though, I have fallen asleep, while wearing a rain poncho, and sitting under a tree, near a deer trail, only to wake to find a young doe feeding, about twenty feet from me.  We used to have aluminum awnings, when I was a kid, and when it rained, I was out like a light.  Nice story, J.W. .

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 08:53:37 pm »
Quote from: bubby link=topic=54575.msg741582#msg741582 date=144
[/quote

Who ever said I am not?

You saying you are? Holding out on us John

When the book I am finishing now is done, I will offer it up for your wee bairns.  Literally the hardest writing I have ever done is for a children's book.  Have gone thru three illustrators and am looking for a new one as we speak. 

Del's stickman that set up camp next to me ended up burning to make my morning pot of coffee.  All the other wood in the area was wet, but he was nice and dry under his tarp!

Willie, this spot is west of Hill City...and then south. Be sure to get a hold of me next time.  I got showers, sheets on the beds, and a fully stocked kitchen.

I went up there again today only to find someone had dumped a refrigerator and stove.  I was ready to chew razor wire and spit chain. I reported it to the Forest Service and talked with them about using the spot next spring for the 3rd Annual P.A. Invitational Turkey Hunt.  Since the road is public access, there is no difficulty hauling in and out, but parking will be dodgy until I get in there with the chainsaw and start clearing out the deadfall timber blocking things up. 

I talked to Kyle (the Moccasin Man) today about turkey camp.  He will be my Segundo again next year.  I also have a load of work to do to prep the site since the whole area is a giant game of pick-up-stix from downed trees.  The wood is all rotted out, so it will cut like paper and be easy to drag off, luckily.