Author Topic: short little black cherry\ early on pics  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

short little black cherry\ early on pics
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:29:54 pm »
this is what some might say is "kinda the impossible"  i started off with a piece of wood that wasnt supposed to work so well. everything was kinda against it but the piece just jumped out at me so i worked it anyways  and this is what i got so far.
 Its  51"    black cherry
100% all sapwood, no heartwod at all.
only   1 1\4" wide  and 3\8 tips
the limbs are a trapazoid shape i guess, (being fatter at the back and thinner at the belly.  it just worked out this way because of the way it was split.
And UN-backed
i draw 26" noramlly but im a snap shooter so i am comfortable with short draw bows,   this one is tillered to 24" and i am not goin any further with it, i made it for sitting flat on the ground huinting turkeys, maybe deer, so shooting from the sitting position i normally dont pull past 24 anyways,
it weighs in roughly at 50# maybe 52 or so, not real sure yet its just a guess.
sorry i dont have a draw pic yet, but i will when i finish it.
it took almost zero set, it had just a touch of reflex when i started and kept its shape well.

so here is where i am at, I dont like to back bows, i have nothin against them, i just dont like them for myself.  this was kinda defying the odds for B. cherry so it seems like an accomplishment of sorts. so short, so narrow, cherry, all sapwood, unbacked.
but i would like to hunt with stone points with it and as a rule to myself i wont hunt with stone points unless the bow 55#+ i know less will do it, bit this is my own "rule of thumb" for turkeys -cuz they are tough birds especially wing butts. and i like serated heads for birds so they hang up.

so here is the question, for your opinions, should I  leave it as- is (unbacked) because of its difficult novelty an except not hunting with stone points,   or
back it with sinew and put a slight amount of recurve? and forget about the novelty and just sling some stone.  - thanks for checkin it out, Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline DanaM

Re: short little black cherry\ early on pics
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:37:59 pm »
Bow looks great, and being unbacked cherry I would say its an accomplishment.
As for the rest its your call.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:39:38 pm »
I've always thought sinew backed black cherry would be a good combo...I'd give it a shot.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:54:26 pm »
thanks for the replies guys. i decided to add some sinew. i spend this evening on preping
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive