Author Topic: anyone use Titebond for R/D bows?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
anyone use Titebond for R/D bows?
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:29:45 pm »
Ive used it on board bows for a while and have had no issues with it. It holds up and seals tight. I recently bought Unibond 800 and I like it as far as its ease of use. No heat needed. I noticed that both times I used it there were a couple of seams between the belly wood and backing. It could very well have been my clamping. I used spring clamps and had been using mostly screw clamps in the past. Anyone have this problem with Unibond?
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: anyone use Titebond for R/D bows?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:40:53 pm »
The problem is probably in your clamping. Try to use bike inner tubes and wrap your glue up instead of clamps. When I used inner tubes I did use 2 screw clamps at the handle and one on each tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GB

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:36:53 pm »
I use about 30 c-clamps.  If there are any spots along the glue line that look iffy, it's because I didn't get the mating surfaces flat enough.  Happens once in a while... ;)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:23:57 am »
I just recently glued up a long bow with an ash backing and red oak belly using Unibond 800 and I used spring clamps and had beautiful glue lines.  I suspect that If you have seam gaps it was because of the mating surfaces, Unibond is also gap filling so you must have had some big gaps.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 01:34:55 pm »
Also, use a pressure strip above the backing at clamp time for spring clamps or screw clamps. This will help insure even clamping.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC