Author Topic: Tree ID sapling  (Read 5949 times)

Offline James Rodney

Tree ID sapling
« on: October 21, 2015, 05:49:48 pm »
i think this is a sapling hickory, but the book i just bought doesn't show what the saplings look like :x
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline James Rodney

Re: Tree ID sapling
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 05:50:27 pm »
sorry about the half eaten away leaves, but these were all that i could get to easily.
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:56:39 pm »
Yes Hickory

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 05:57:47 pm »
Hickory
I like osage

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:58:47 pm »
sweet.. may have 4 more staves out of this :D

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 06:04:32 pm »
Yes, bark can change quite a bit as a tree matures.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 06:05:08 pm »
Jackpot!  That's a hickory.  Looks like a young pignut and a nice one!  Josh

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:34:53 pm »
Great looking hickory!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 08:36:30 pm »
You guys are awesome! Thanks for your help!

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:38:01 pm »
No problem, I love hickory as a bowwood, especially saplings!

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:44:02 pm »
I just hope I don't mess it up. I'll take some more pics later and and see how you guys think I should proceed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 09:00:03 pm »
FAIR WARNING!  That bark is stuck tight on that hickory this time of year and it's like armor plating.  I would wait till spring to drop the hickory. I'd put up some dogwood and elm if you got it for now.  The bark comes off of them nice with a draw knife even though its stuck tight this time of year.  Josh

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 09:15:08 pm »
I was just cutting hickory in SC last weekend and the bark, although not full of water and easily peeled, is still able to be scraped off with a drawknife and the back of a knife without to much effort.
Might be different in other states though.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 09:40:14 pm »
I was just cutting hickory in SC last weekend and the bark, although not full of water and easily peeled, is still able to be scraped off with a drawknife and the back of a knife without to much effort.
Might be different in other states though.

It would be in your best interest to be sure about that.  If he drops that hickory and the bark is stuck as tight as it is most everywhere else........well.....we all know Mr. Rodney isn't exactly bashful about speaking his mind when he's provoked! :o ;) >:D. Josh

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 09:55:09 pm »
Come on guys, I said I was sorry for the previous remarks. If I need to wait, I'll wait.. But there are 20+ saplings around this one.

Forgive and forget.