Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle, split or saw  (Read 1337 times)

Offline tlewis

Crepe Myrtle, split or saw
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:36:55 pm »
So I still haven't finished my first bow yet. Its a red oak board bow. But I'm always looking for trees to make bows from. I had a nice piece of cherry that was about 8' perfectly straight and about 8" in diameter. When I split it it had a 90 degree twist. So now I have found a perfect piece of Crepe Myrtle about 7' and about 5" in diameter. Should I try and split it? or cut it on a bandsaw? I'm guessing I need to try and split it for grain reasons. Its such a perfect piece I wish I could give it to one of the gurus here, it would probably make two nice bows. I will go take some pictures of it this weekend to post.

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Crepe Myrtle, split or saw
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:04:00 am »
I have heard some good things about crepe myrtle, but have never used it. If the grain is straight, then you would be fine kerfing a line and splitting or cutting it on a bandsaw.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:28:18 am »
Id like to see pics of the grain first...you might think its straight,but an experienced eye might see otherwise. Its kinda tough reading the grain of crepe myrtle by the bark alone...find the top of a running crown and follow it..thatll tell ya. 

Offline tlewis

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:47:47 am »
I haven't cut it yet. By find the top of a running crown and follow it, do you mean like a raised part of the diameter (crown) and see if it lines up on both ends without twist?

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 07:07:48 am »
Lots to watch today. I have some access to CM.