Author Topic: Ow  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Ow
« on: October 18, 2015, 03:40:35 pm »
Well I had a point break and shoot into my finger. 2 tendons severed and a third possibly cut too. Hand surgery in a few days. So let it be known that gloves aren't thick enough, watch your hand placement/point hold too.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Ow
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:47:34 pm »
Sorry to hear that. I hope you recover quickly.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »
Good gracious. When you feel like it could you explain what went
hay wire? Could help us not do what you unfortunately did.
Prayin you have a complete recovery.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:20:49 pm »
Ouch! Making glad I use my custom glove! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:35:14 pm »
Holding the point in my left hand, bopped it with my right and I guess my hand was cupped putting my pinky under the point. Drove the bopper through and hit high breaking the point and sending the point into my pinky. It was luckily 40 degrees so my hands were already numb and I didn't really feel it. I knew as soon as the bopper touched it was too much force and too high. Didn't bleed for a few minutes so I got to examine my split tendons before deciding to go to the hospital over the jake and the neverland pirate bandaides I almost used.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline le0n

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 09:24:39 pm »
crap :(

those edges can go through leather like nothing.

sometimes the gloves are just a false sense of security.

wishing a speedy recovery. good luck with the surgery.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:47:07 pm »
Haha thanks guys. I'm hoping for a quick turn around too, I was supposed to start at the lumber mill on Tuesday.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 06:05:20 pm »
That really is too bad. I hope you can recover fast.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 11:32:35 pm »
I severed 3 tendons in the top of my left hand when a 7 1/2" 1/2 horse grinder kicked back.
Doc fixed me up. 6 weeks in a splint. He said when he took it off I would need therapy.
No way. By the time I got home I had them around the  steering   wheel. Hand works
Good. Said this to say you can work it out. A little time and determination.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 09:31:19 am »
Yup surgery today and the doc already told me I'll be in the splint for only a very short time. Like a matter of days. There's to high of a risk of the tendon sticking to the bone where my seperation is. Knapped another arrowhead last night on my leg one handed, ruined pounds of obsidian but got one in the end!

Offline le0n

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:16:52 am »
^^ that's good news.

also, i can't see the photograph you posted of the obs point ;)

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 04:11:27 pm »
Good deal.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 04:16:26 pm »
I'm a lucky man. The hand surgeon said no surgery is needed- he thinks it can heal on its own. Told me 1 month of light duty and it'll be good as new. He didn't reopen me up though so I guess he has X-ray vision.. But whatever. Hands out of the splint and I plan to knap tonight. Just, with more caution. Moving my finger already and it feels okay

Offline le0n

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 04:29:22 pm »
^^ even better news.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 10:22:13 pm »
Spotted dog,
Had the same thing happen to me only no serious injury. Reacted in time to get my hand up in front of my face and block it. My wrist watch bit it but it saved from a serious injury. I have a shaman scar on my chest and left fore arm forearm from it.   
It's a good thing to remind ourselves that we are playing with deadly tools when we are knapping. Tracker glad you will heal up without surgery.