Author Topic: can anyone suggest a reputable site to buy lumber and staves?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
can anyone suggest a reputable site to buy lumber and staves?
« on: October 18, 2015, 09:55:23 am »
Just curious, I have been ordering through a couple of sites and the prices have been comperatable. Mainly I am looking for boards and laminations but a place to get good staves online will help out in the future. I took a gamble on an ebay stave. The price was right enough to buy even if it isnt used for a bow. I know advertizing isnt allowed so please stay within the rules. Thanks!
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline bushboy

Re: can anyone suggest a reputable site to buy lumber and staves?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:13:50 am »
On what part of the planet do you live?checking out the trading post is also an option.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:35:38 am »
I received an osage stave from PineHollowLongbows recently and it was very clean with 0 twist and two pin knots. Also, the trading section is a great resource that you can use, and I know some guys on here would be willing to give you several staves as long as you pay shipping. I'm not experienced with any other sites though as I do almost all of my own cutting and tree selection. Good luck!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 12:09:30 pm »
I have used pinehollow and boisebows for boards and havent had a problem. I will check the trade section. I will happily pay shipping lol!
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 01:46:08 pm »
There's gotta be bow wood in your area, do a little research, save your money and cut your own!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 02:26:11 pm »
Where do you live? You don't have to be specific but a general idea of where you live might allow someone to offer you a good piece of bow wood or tell you what is available in your area.
 I have more well seasoned bow wood than I will ever use in my lifetime. If you lived near me I could give you enough to keep you busy for a while.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 02:57:32 pm »
I would never buy a board for a bow without being able to inspect it up close and personal  however with staves, I have done business with LE_enterprises on the auction site for years.  I can't say enough good things about Mr. Bartles.  He and his son have always treated me more than fair.  Josh

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 03:32:21 pm »
Me too Josh, I got my first 4 or 5 staves from that guy. His son as well.