Author Topic: Grandson's first day learning gun safety and shooting  (Read 1776 times)

Offline half eye

Grandson's first day learning gun safety and shooting
« on: October 17, 2015, 05:59:02 pm »
Fellas,
     My grandson is 9 yrs old, and fairly small for his age. Thought I'd teach him weapons handling, safety and shooting technique. My .22 rifle was/is too big for him to handle and shoot accurately so he needed a gun built for a youngster. I couldn't find a used single shot to redo so had to settle for a Crickett, single shot, bolt action rifle and hand make a scope base for it.
    He's a real good kid and listens well for 9 yrs old. He is a natural crack shot too. I wanted to share his very first day....after sighting in he nailed his "rabbit" 5 out of five (3 shots sitting and 2 shots standing) at 50 yards. A couple more sessions and then we'll see how he does on real "small game".
    I'm real proud of Trenton for his listening and taking his safety lessons to heart.
rich

Offline Adam

Re: Grandson's first day learning gun safety and shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 06:18:39 pm »
He looks proud! Nice shooting!

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »
Good day for both of you. Makes all the bad days worth it, eh!  What is that in the background, feathers?

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:28:08 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.....yes sir DC, same kind of feathers ya got up your way 8)
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:33:24 pm »
   Rich,
           It's good to see someone taking time with today's youth...I can tell that's your Grandson from his eyes...He's a crack shot also :o...
                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 07:49:52 pm »
Gun safety and handling is a worthwhile thing to teach the young man Grandma. Teach a kid how to be responsible when they are young and it will most likely stick with them when they are adults.
Nice shooting Trenton, hope you and the old fella bag some rabbits for the cook pot. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 08:14:30 pm »
Thanks Don means a lot, sir

B2, judging by how he is shooting now, a couple years and I dont believe that I'd shoot for coffee....unless I really want to buy ;D

rich

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 11:31:44 pm »
Respect for weapons is foremost imo. The young lad seems to have gotten the message.
I don't think he would shoot that good and wear a great smile like that is he wasn't a good student. Glad you get to share that with him.
I'll never forget my training. Watch that muzzle. Never point it at anything you don't want to shoot.Treat every gun as if it is loaded. lol
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 04:08:19 am »
You're a good Man Rich. GREAT shooting Trenton, keep up the good work ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 06:48:14 pm »
Nice job Rich, bet ya can't wait to get him trailing a real rabbit, i know taking my oldest grandson on his first dove hunt was a great day, nice looking kid too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 07:26:05 pm »
Trenton certainly looks like he is enthused.

Good job Trenton, (and gramps too.)

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 09:19:52 pm »
Looks like you made his day Rich.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 11:07:38 pm »
OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Brings back great memories  of time spent shooting with my Grandad,when i was about that same age.

After a while i got tired of borrowing Grandads gun and spent a month splittin wood for Old Mr Bass,to buy my own 22 rifle.Still have it today.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 11:19:54 pm »
Congrats! It's always good to see wisdom and skills being passed to the next generation.
It makes me miss my archery apprentice. His family moved, and I am still looking for someone to teach.

---Ford---

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 05:57:58 am »
Got to love that. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good