Author Topic: grandpas bush gun  (Read 4219 times)

Offline jayman448

grandpas bush gun
« on: October 16, 2015, 11:08:41 pm »
My gramps recently gave me his rifles as he no longer hunts and i am just getting started. One gun is a model 94 winchester 30-30 with an octogon barrel. I decided to look up the cerial number and the darn thing is over one hundred years old. Shoots good too. Not all shot out. I love it. Im proud of it. But when in conversation i mention that ill be hunting with my grandpas old 30-30 and i actually got laughed at. What the hell is wrong with a 30-30? I got quite upset. Sure its not for huge yardages but itll do the bloody job!

Offline willie

Re: grandpas bush gun
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:16:29 pm »
nothing wrong with it at all, unless you are hunting grizzly bear?

were the guys doing the laughing, the same guys that shoot bows with training wheels?

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 11:23:37 pm »
Nothing wrong with it at all. I would proudly carry it. I was recently given a Win 94 32 special built in 1958 and am excited carry it this year. Prolly more deer killed in the past with the Win lever than any other.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 11:52:58 pm »

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 30-30!  It has killed more game in north America, than any other rifle!  I believe it was the first smokeless rifle cartridge.  It can take any north American game animal, including a Griz, with proper round, 170 grain, and proper shot placement.  Not my first choice, but it will kill one.  But it is a great hunting round, and out to around 250 yd.s it is very effective!  Use it with pride!  It is a great rifle round, especially for brush.  I am currently looking to find a good used 30-30 rifle, for brush hunting.  I have a Marlin 45-70, but would still like to get a 30-30.
                                     Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 12:08:55 am »
Used to be called the .30 Winchester Center Fire, is that stamped on the barrel?  Marlin refused to put the competition's name on their guns and changed the caliber name to 30-30 for the 30 grains of powder in the standard cartidge. It's more than enough for the biggest deer they make in Canada, while maybe a little underpowered for a moose.  Dat moose soaks up a lotta killin'!

I have been down at my local Cabela's looking to trade the Remmy 700 in .243 for a lever action .30 cal.  Preferably something like you lucked into.  At the distances I hunt, there is no need for "holdover". An iron sighted "dirty-dirty" is just the ticket!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 02:59:10 am »
Its stamped 30 W.C.F

Steel nickle barrel especially for smokeless powder

Its a little worse for wear but i think its worth it (to me any ways) to try and get it properly restored one day. The stock is chipped off here and there and some one put a terrible home varnish job on the stock but i think its a really cool gun. But its my gramps gun, i could be biased

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 03:37:20 am »
I know very little about guns & riffles (bein' in the UK). But I do know know that guys that laugh usually know less than me and only understand money and the latest fashion.
All the gear and no idea.
To own a gun handed down like that is a privilege.
My brother restores old shotguns and the very old ones are greatly prized, he owns one that was made when Billy the Kid was alive!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 09:16:37 am »
I was at my friend's gun shop when a young fellow walked in with two 1873 Winchesters, one was pristine the other in great shape but the blueing was worn off, they had been his grandfathers guns. If I remember right they were an off caliber, not 30-30s. The kid wanted the rough one blued, and possible a refinish job on the pristine ones stock. He thought they were common rifles like a 94 Winchester. My gunsmith friend put them in his gun safe and wrote the kid a work order.

We talked later, I told him the kid didn't know what he had and doing any work on the guns would severely drop their value. The best of the two was probably worth over 10K, redoing the stock would have cut that value by at least 2/3rds. I never heard how this tale ended but have always wondered.

My gunsmith friend did have contact with a web of collectors who he alerted every time a special gun showed up in his shop.  Fortunately he wasn't the kind of person who would take advantage of the kid and buy his guns for peanuts to resell them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 10:21:42 am »
I had a Marlin 30-30(not a Winchester) I hunted with for quite a few years. My longest kill shot ever was at a running deer I dropped and when I paced it of it was 228 paces from my stand tree. The 30-30 is a very effective hunting weapon for North America.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 12:50:29 pm »
I was in Colorado elk hunting years ago, everyone is useing .300 win mags and .338 one guy was useing a ruger no. 1 single shot .243, killed over ten elk with it at that point shot placement is key said all he took was standing head shots, don't take any abuse over your gramps 30 30 it will do the job
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 01:11:22 pm »
A lot of Deer have been killed with the 30-30 but what some people may not know is that up here a lot of Moose have been killed by them as well.  I know one guy killed a Bull Moose with one with a shot of more than 100 yards. 

The 32 Special on the other hand was a bit of a dinosaur and it had problems the rifling
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 04:39:03 pm »
30-30 is a fine weapon.. Lotsa critters fell victim to that cartridge..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 04:40:06 pm »
My best 30-30 shot--
A chuck at 175 yds leaning on a fence post.
He still had the grass in his mouth. Didn't twitch.
Great bush guns.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 05:03:09 pm »
In the 50's and 60's when I was growing up the 30-30 was pretty much the go-to rifle around here. The thousands of deer they got are still dead.

Offline Cade

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 12:24:26 am »
I occasionally will hunt with the Winchester 30-30 my grandpa bought. He got it from a bear guide in Washington. The guide used it for years and my grandpa was told it's probably killed  close to 100 bears.