Author Topic: evaporating threads  (Read 4646 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: evaporating threads
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 08:45:44 pm »

Can anyone conceive a legit reason why one may
want to delete their own thread?

Zuma

Yes.  I can.

Aw jeez, I suppose you wanna know, now.  Ok.  I deleted a thread on a trade I was offering.  Kept getting responses after the trade was made.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 11:15:48 pm »

Can anyone conceive a legit reason why one may
want to delete their own thread?

Zuma

Yes.  I can.

Aw jeez, I suppose you wanna know, now.  Ok.  I deleted a thread on a trade I was offering.  Kept getting responses after the trade was made.
LOL I think your first post could be a record short post for you.
Glad I turned the page.
I  fortunately have not felt the need to delete a thread but
could imagine doing so if I posted a lot of erroneous material that I
thought was good but was not. Something that was to involved to
explain and perhaps to embarrassing.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 12:11:56 am »
It's crap that an author can delete a thread after its populated. Nobody but mods should make that decision.

I totally agree. It should stay!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 01:32:49 pm »
Different forums (fora?) have different capabilities, I know on one I'm at members can only delete their own posts.  That way they still retain ownership of what they wrote, but they can't just obliterate everyone else's input.  If they want the thread completely deleted they can put in a request to the moderators.  That does make more work for the mods though, as Halverson mentioned the trading post is a spot where it's a good idea to delete your post once it's no longer useful.  Some places have it where you can change the setting for just one area, so people could delete their threads there but nowhere else.  No idea if that would work here, or even if the moderators want to do so. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 02:40:18 pm »
 Speaking of evaporating thread...I know someone that had a skin cancer taken off her nose and the Dr. used evaporating thread to sew her back up.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 09:32:26 am »
I'm just glad you can delete your own posts, I made a joke the other day that I later realized if you don't know me could be taken the wrong way, deleted that sucker, lol.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 10:51:27 am »
Yep seen it in the deleted stuff this morning, must have gotten his feeling hurt or something. :-\ When I saw it I looked to see if it had got ugly as threads sometimes do, but no it hadn't so don't know why he pulled it. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 12:12:48 pm »
I love discussing various means of producing a bow. Brainstorming with others invites literally dozens of lifetimes of experience to apply to any given problem, and I rejoice over anyone willing to comment positively (or negatively) over a method, especially when it can be demonstrated why said method does or does not work.

However, I took the thread down because there were a couple of responders who went from merely insulting the book and the physicists who wrote it, to insulting me personally as an engineer and an architect because I apply those very simple mathematical methodologies to making bows.

It has been my experience that when two children are fighting over a toy, you take the toy away.

I have written a 2-page document that is shorthand for the process however, and if anyone would like it, please PM me. I will not be an offense to anyone else by posting this online again.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 12:17:36 pm »
If we all stomped away when we read something we didn't like there would four members left. Take your ball and go home if that's what you want to do.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 12:44:09 pm »

If we all stomped away when we read something we didn't like there would four members left. Take your ball and go home if that's what you want to do.

:o

Sometimes the best medicine is learning that you may have a strong opinion, but that doesn't make you right.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline willie

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 01:28:56 pm »
PD-

did he just say he was taking his ball and going home? or just that he won't post on that particular subject again?

willie

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 01:36:47 pm »
I never had an opinion on his original topic, it didn't interest me one bit and I didn't post to it as a result. I'm only talking about deleting an entire thread because you don't like the comments. It's disrespectful to the people who did enjoy his post.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 01:37:59 pm »
I love discussing various means of producing a bow. Brainstorming with others invites literally dozens of lifetimes of experience to apply to any given problem, and I rejoice over anyone willing to comment positively (or negatively) over a method, especially when it can be demonstrated why said method does or does not work.

However, I took the thread down because there were a couple of responders who went from merely insulting the book and the physicists who wrote it, to insulting me personally as an engineer and an architect because I apply those very simple mathematical methodologies to making bows.

It has been my experience that when two children are fighting over a toy, you take the toy away.

I have written a 2-page document that is shorthand for the process however, and if anyone would like it, please PM me. I will not be an offense to anyone else by posting this online again.
Not having a dog in the fight or even being an avid bow builder, I find
your explanation quite reasonable. I am always some what controversial
in my attempts to get on the same page as others because I am strongly opinionated and it is difficult for an ole dog to learn new tricks. :embarassed:
That being said, As much as I would like to be negative in some of my resposes
to others that I think are just being cranky because of their thinking---
I take five, chill and compose a post that helps keep things positive.
I hope others can learn to count to ten as well. Some times shaking hands
and starting over can cement some cracks in the chinking.
Who knows :-\
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline willie

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 01:39:44 pm »
PD-
Point well taken, thanks for the clarification

willie

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 09:30:25 pm »
Wooden Spring sounds very reasonable to me, there are always two sides two a story. But, taking away an entire thread that others may have enjoyed reading might have been going a little far, keeping peace is all about negotiating, if you felt that they were insulting you personally then perhaps a series of PMs talking about the problem might have cleared things up. That said, it's a thread, this is a forum, it isn't a big deal at all, no harm done and at the end of the day I hope that this hasn't discouraged WS from posting here for fear of being overly criticized. I would actually like to read your 2 pager describing your process, perhaps post it here so others can read, there is certainly a mathematical aspect to building bows, as well as a creative aspect. Without one, the other is useless and vice versa.
Whatever you are, be a good one.