Author Topic: Do you de-crown Elm?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline bushboy

Re: Do you de-crown Elm?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »
I've made a couple of quite narrow with a very pronounced D shape and have held up fine.elm if handled nicely just doesn't break in stave form within reason.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 06:47:46 pm »
Thanks bushboy. I really like the elm bows I've seen you made.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 06:59:29 pm »
Yup..no need to decrown elm...its a very versatile wood..and a good piece of elm can be made into most anything within reason...i like elm a whole lot more than hickory if that says anything. I favor the smaller elms around 4-6" diameter(ill never cut a large one again...dont ask cus im still whooped from it..lol). There are some large ones still around here with easy to find frequency (western Pennsylvania),but most dont make it. And theres a plethora of small elms here before they get hit. There (elm saplings n small trees)thick everywhere around here.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 10:02:35 pm »
I have decried elm, attempted several times successfully a couple of times.

I'm with George.  I use a LOT of small diameter elm.  You need to cut it green and straight from a thicket of other small trees,  reduce the stave, get whatever width the diameter let's you, and go with it.  I ALWAYS reduce elm to dry, I always spray it with something to chase bugs away, and I ALWAYS restrain it with clamps, atraps, or screws while it dries.  Then ignore the crown and use the available width to make design choices.