Author Topic: Elm Stave Bow  (Read 19285 times)

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Elm Stave Bow
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2015, 06:56:07 pm »
I just put a hickory sapling to the heat today, it took about 45 minutes for me to do one limb. So only 20 minutes for the whole bow probably wont do much, and neither will doing it after tillering. But that looks to be a nice bow, very well done, i like it.

Cheers!! :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline DC

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »
If you're not bored spitless by the time you finished, you didn't do it long enough. 1/2 hour to 45 min per limb, depending on length. You can start or stop whenever you want to pee or get coffee but don't leave the heat on it and walk away :-[ :-[. I straighten arrows at the same time. Just pay attention to the bow.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »
Ahhh, okay got it, thanks guys!

ps. besides more time..... should it have been darker?
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2015, 08:27:04 pm »
I had a hard time accessing my video as well, didn't seem to want to load, so I modified the thread and put a link to the page and that seems to work better
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2015, 08:30:38 pm »
You want kind of a light brown, although anything I've done kind of turns grayish. Pictures lie but it looks to me like it could have been darker. Build a jig to hold the heat gun about 4" from the bow. When you start to see a color change move it about an inch. I'm going to guess and say you should move it about every 1-2 mins. It will be too hot to touch for long. I've never done elm so maybe someone can describe the color better,

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2015, 08:34:15 pm »
Until it turns a dark brown but doesnt burn and smells like popcorn.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2015, 09:38:38 pm »
Okay, click, it's all coming together now. I was able to download your video Marc (for some reason I can download an mp4 but not view it streaming).... so I see......  lots of time and a stand to hold the gun, and dark brown -- way different than what I did just waving the gun around! ::)  guess that was a waste of time. It did smell like roasting peanuts, but there was no wisp of smoke, like what I'm seeing in the video/.

Definitely too little too late. :)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2015, 02:25:40 pm »
I think I've got it as good as I can get it, and have started to finish it off. It seems like it gained a little power since I got the first sealer coats on -- I don't know why, except when I had tried weighting and shooting earlier after heat treating it was so wet out that maybe the humidity got right into the bare wood. It was drizzling at the time. I dunno. Just seems to have more punch now and be harder to draw. And it still has that surprising shooting consistency in my beginner hands.

I have to admit that the tiller isn't textbook perfect: the shorter snakey lower limb bends more than the upper does.  But I don't want to lose draw weight to try to even it up, and I'm super happy with how it shoots and feels. So I'm just going to say, it was as good as I could get at my stage (and ability to judge things). I have 3 more elm staves to improve my skills on.

I'll get more pics when it is finished, braced and drawn, but here it is just raw -- no handle wrap or arrow pass. Well kinda tempted not to put a wrap on. I like the wood shape so much. Even though I already prepared elm bark for it. Hard to decide.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:48:11 am by PlanB »

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2015, 02:30:26 pm »
That sure is a purity lookin bow, well done!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2015, 03:34:17 pm »
Thanks Bowandarrow! It's pouring out now, and starting to get dark, but here it is braced:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:49:45 am by PlanB »

Offline le0n

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2015, 04:44:42 pm »
nicely done, Sir 8)

in for full draw photograph.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 05:39:32 pm »
Okay, out in the rain...........I guess I won't melt! :laugh:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:51:23 am by PlanB »

Offline Glerian

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2015, 05:54:16 pm »
Real nice looking bow!
"I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

Offline le0n

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2015, 06:00:21 pm »
excellent :)

Offline DC

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2015, 06:31:35 pm »
Nice one!