Author Topic: Solo trip to nordern michigan  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Solo trip to nordern michigan
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:44:11 pm »
Headed up to the Huron National Forest tuesday thru friday. Tent camping , stikbows and a pot o chili. Huntin deer, squirrels and grouse. Just a few days of fun.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Solo trip to nordern michigan
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:46:20 pm »
Have fun, shoot straight and be careful.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 09:36:56 pm »
From Kentucky ..................but love that area of MI...Enjoy yourself...be thinking about ya.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:59:33 pm »
Thanx guys. Will post what i can if photobucket lets me. Have made a few bows this summer that i couldn't post because photobucket doesn't seem to like me anymore😏
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:23:44 pm »
Been on a bunch of these solo trips and nothin wakes ya up more than roamin the big woods With a stik string and rok
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 03:43:58 am »
Best of luck and have fun ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 05:24:07 pm »
Just got home, man the north woods never disappoints. The only time i dropped the string was on the practice bag. The first day had nothin to report, but nite 2 was awesome. I was set up on the side of a ridge over lookin an oak grove.Had my Dean Torges inspired tree seat strapped to an oak and a quik makeshift ground blind in front of me. After aboot a half hour i heard the russel of leaves behind me when i turned i was shocked to see 2 doe's standing at 10 yds, momma and a piebaud fawn. The first piebaud i've ever seen in the wild, she was three quarter white from her shoulder back.what a sight! With their six sence momma knew something was up. She actually turned and headed rite down the run in front on me, she stopped at 15 yds one step from entering my shooting lane. She got wise and started the head bob and finally picked me out. Like a good mom she took that beautiful piebaud and got the hell outta dodge. Man i love the north woods.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 10:27:57 pm »
Do you mean "piebald"?  Never heard of "piebaud" but maybe I'm just not in on the term.  I'm familiar with piebald from horses, meaning a horse that has splashes of white on it like someone shook a paint can over them.  If there was a fawn like that, that must have been a sight! 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 08:32:24 am »
Yes, piebald. Anywho, great trip! That part of the state is drop dead gorgeous and full of public land with opportunity. Even has a few blue ribbon trout streams for frosting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 08:52:36 am »
yes,piebald. my bad
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 11:18:29 am »
Looked up some pics of piebald deer, and man that's wild!  Looks like in Iowa it's illegal to kill a deer that has more than 50% white on it.  I had no idea that it was even an issue, although of course I've heard of white (albino) deer.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 01:43:07 pm »
Looked up some pics of piebald deer, and man that's wild!  Looks like in Iowa it's illegal to kill a deer that has more than 50% white on it.  I had no idea that it was even an issue, although of course I've heard of white (albino) deer.

That's weird. Is Iowa trying to breed a white herd?

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 03:51:27 pm »
I think it's more like they're so rare (and die so quickly in the wild because of their coloration and from what I've seen with the piebalds, other disabilities) that they're more valuable as something to be seen rather than hunted.  Or I'm way off, it's just a guess.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 07:21:45 am »
I think Iowa made that law so people cant shoot albino deer and claim they thought they were piebald. If its 50% or less white, no guess work involved. My buddy owns a shop uptown and he has a full body mount 4 point piebald in the front window.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.