Author Topic: Arrow shafts  (Read 6695 times)

Offline jayman448

Re: Arrow shafts
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 02:26:14 am »
Im going to steal this for a half a second. How thick a piece of rose hip do you think youd need to spine about fifty pounds. Ive only ever shot my arrows out of a thirty lb bow for fear of them snapping and scuring my hand

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 10:10:52 am »
With cane, sourwood shoots and red osier 3/8" at the point and 5/16" at the nock on a 30" arrow will give you an arrow that can be from 45# to over 60#. A slight adjustment might be necessary.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:48:38 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 01:21:42 pm »
PatB is the 3/8 and 5/16 with bark on when your collecting them in woods or is that bark off dried shafts?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 02:46:55 pm »
I sometimes use a 3/8" open end wrench as a guide for cutting shoot shafts and cane. Even if I cut larger I'll use a thumb plane to reduce it to size. Shafts are probably just under 3/8" at the point end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 02:05:25 pm »
  I like dog wood shoots. Almost finished 8 sourwood (down to stain) I love you can been them with out heat. Lot lighter than dog wood. Not nearly a s stiff.

Around here I have 2 kinds of viburm. wild rose,apple.hickery,popular cherry. I've made arrows from each. I've also made arrow from river cain

I learned of alternet dog wood. Around here it's the best.

Couple years ago I started building shoot arrows a little differently. Trying to save time. First of only cut shots that have a natural been the last inchs. Only cut shoots that do'nt have this been. You can take it out but it's not easy.

Next I look for them big 1/2 inch or bigger. You can rasp the high spots off keep rasping it down to now if you have any beens it be those long beens easy to take out.

Next keep sanding of high spots untill I have a straight tapered shaff.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline cwade3085

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 07:17:13 am »
thanks for ya'lls input....

How about throughts on Ash for arrows, i have a handfull of Ash trees that need to come down this fall. i am going to try to get atleast 1 bow stave from them. a guy i was talking to about it said to make a few arrows out of them too. how would i go about doing that? make 1/2"x1/2" x 30"+ staves? does anyone have any expierence doing this and is it worth the time and effort? is their an easy way to quickly turn them down?