Author Topic: Off the hand  (Read 6502 times)

Offline DC

Off the hand
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:22:42 pm »
Hopefully I don't open a can of worms here. When you're using an arrow pass and string nock you are guaranteed a repeat arrow position. How do you get that repeatability when shooting off your knuckle? Do you still use a string nock? If so how do you know your knuckle is in the same spot?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Off the hand
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:39:55 pm »
I still use a string knock, handle position tells me if my hand is right.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:46:48 pm »
I shoot new bows without a string nock. I can feel the string tension on my fingers as I draw telling me everything is even. I do use a floppy rest so arrow placement on the bow is always the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:02:17 pm »
Shooting manchu style here, I do use a string knock and as far as knuckle position goes any of the asian styles of archery hand position/grip is really important so just by making sure I'm using proper bowhand grip I'm in the same position every time.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 06:00:57 pm »
when you are shooting through a chrono,, with no clicker or mark on the arrow,, and your get duplicate fps consistently ,, how does your body do that,, its amazing,, to draw the bow to that exact length and exact release,,,
its a little the same shooting off the hand,, you feel the balance of the bow and you duplicate the shot,,I have made alot of bows and had to shoot them in no rest or nocking point,,,and would shoot consistently,,, it may not be as consistent as a rest with nocking point,, but it can be very consistent,,I do use a glued on leather for an  arrow rest on my hunting bows,, but would not hesitate to shoot a bow with no rest or nocking point for hunting if need be,,  :)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 09:16:29 am »
 DC,
          Nocking points are very important to me, knowing just 1/8 to low on the string will give me a high kick off my hand...Shooting off the hand puts the arrow closer to my pivot point and allows me a greater degree/range of canting depending on the situation...Only draw back for me is I have sat hours with my shooting hand in position to keep the arrow ready...
                                                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 12:36:50 pm »
DC,
          Nocking points are very important to me, knowing just 1/8 to low on the string will give me a high kick off my hand...Shooting off the hand puts the arrow closer to my pivot point and allows me a greater degree/range of canting depending on the situation...Only draw back for me is I have sat hours with my shooting hand in position to keep the arrow ready...
                                                                                                                                         Don

Can you define "pivot point" for me. I've not heard that before, I don't think.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 01:42:50 pm »
  DC,
          Pivoting would be the grip, the bow/canting...If the arrow is up high on a rest it is further from your pivoting hand and would move more than if on the hand during a change in your cant...Some bowyers or archers try to set the shelf as close as they can to the hand. All this stuff really is a personal choice, I have shot both. I am more comfortable and accurate off my hand, but I'm used to doing that way...I may need to cant differently at times, but I'm a hunter...
                                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline punch

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 08:54:24 pm »
I use a nock on the string but could get by without one. When I was messing around with a short bow I shoot it without a nock after awhile it was easy to put it in the same place consistently.  As far as the hand I cut my leather grip to the bottom of the arrow pass. I know I'm in the right place when the Web of my hand is touching the top of the leather grip.

Offline Strelets

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 03:28:52 am »
I find that I am better off without a nocking point. The eye can judge a right angle very accurately, then move the arrow up a little if you think it should be slightly higher than "dead square". If your hand is in a different position from shot to shot, then so will your arrow be if you use a nocking point.

Offline wolff

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 03:08:48 pm »
I'm still learning to shoot my first Osage selfbow. I wanted a very simple bow, so no arrow rest. And while I like shooting off the knuckle I wonder how much my accuracy suffers from inconsistent hand placement. I glued a small peiceof turquoise (stole from wife's earing she didn't even notice) on the handle so when my finger touches it I know I'm real close.   Seemed to help but I think my next bow will have some kind of rest..

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 10:56:38 pm »
I don't see why a nocking point wouldn't help, so I use one. Since I nock higher than the perpendicular with my hand to avoid getting cut by the fletching, I find that it works just as well if not better than an arrow pass; the air is the arrow pass. The arrow gets lifted by being pushed by the string and the fletchings don't cut the hand.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »
  Even off the hand and your not cutting in a shelf. You still fourm in a handle. Most bows and people dont' need any thing else. I have PAINTED ON, SINEW ON THE BOW WHEWRE THE ARROWS GOING TO PASS.

After you shoot off your hand a while. You would'nt have a problem with that problem.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »
Primitive or not Traditional archery is what it is, I'm thinking of building a bow or refitting an existing bow with an adjustable arrow rest.  No need to keep Freaking around with the string nock.   >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 11:37:54 am »
On an ELB I have either a wear mark or inlaid arrow pass telling me where the arrow sits (or the top edge of the leather grip), I have a tied nocking point on the string above where the arrow sits, (or above and below).
I wear an old leather glove with the fingers cut off on my bow hand to avoid the odd abrasion/laceration from a feather.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.