Author Topic: First Miss in a long time  (Read 5679 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

First Miss in a long time
« on: October 06, 2015, 04:33:14 pm »
I went hunting this morning in Tenn on 350 acres I have permission to hunt.

I had a big coyote come by about 9:00 from the direction of the land owner's house. I had him quartering to at 15 yards, if he continued on the same path I would have him broadside at ten yards. He hit where I walked in, swapped ends and skedaddled up the ridge and out of sight.

About 10:00 a big doe ran off the ridge and meandered right up to me. She smelled me a little, stopped to figure things out facing me then turned broadside. I shot, thought I hit her as the arrow went BLOOP. I was shooting downhill from a stand 20 feet up, she was about 8 yards away. I tend to shoot high straight down and close. Anyway, she ran across the creek and eased out of sight in the thick stuff. I thought I heard her lay down even with the turnaround on the spring road. I waited 30 minutes and got down to trail her, I couldn’t see an arrow in the ground from my stand even with binoculars. Well I got down and there was my arrow as clean and blood free as it had been when I launched it. I shot high, she ducked and I missed.  I had a blast anyway.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: First Miss in a long time
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:57:35 pm »
I have dozens of missed shot stories Eric, though I wish I only had one like you. ;D ;D
You'll et the next one that gives you that shot I'd bet.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:43:58 pm »
I missed 6 one morning within 15 minutes. The topper was I only had 3 arrows so I had to climb down, gather my arrows climb back up and be ready to miss 3 more.
 At least you were out there Eric.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:44:34 am »
It happens, all a man can do is laugh and move on. Just wasn't her day to die Eric. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:10:50 am »
I couldn't believe I missed one at 6 yards last year at Pappy's. I was shooting almost straight down and shot high also, along with her dropping straight to her belly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:08:04 am »
I was out Monday morning and missed a 15 yd broadside shot on a spike when it jumped my string., I just laughed.  It was a great day.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:59:15 am »
Straight down is a difficult shot
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:40:26 pm »
I missed plenty when I first started traditional bow hunting, I killed the first three I shot at and missed the next 11, all high over their backs, I started shooting 3D and got better at picking a spot.

I tested the arrow I missed with this afternoon, it shot great, spot on, when I tested it before the season. Today it shot 6" to 8" high every time I shot it, it is going to be replaced.

I have a cane arrow that is a driller with a field point, If I can get it to do the same with a broad head it will be my go to hunting arrow.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 08:22:54 pm »
Do you have any idea why it shoots high?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:45:20 pm »
When I select arrows for broadheads, I test a bunch of them. I put a 1" florescent dot on a bedded buck kill section I use for testing, the range is 15 yards. If I shoot an arrow and it repeatedly misses the dot by more than an inch or two or so it is rejected and I mount the broadhead on another shaft to test.

The arrow in question was a poplar shaft, very straight, I spun the broadhead on an aluminum arrow straighter to check for trueness.

Some wood shafts shoot good with a broadhead, some do not.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 06:22:47 am »
If she ducked it, it don't matter if it was off an inch, does it. You get her close. You will finish it next time Eric. If she is aware or if that close, you will aim low like you know to do. If your arrow is hitting 6 to 8 inches high at 8 yds from 20 feet up, you may have shot 2 ft over her back. I would scrap that arrow too. Wow! I just psyched myself out. To many variables. How do we hit them at all? Good Hunting! 8^) 

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:53:45 am »
I am not getting psyched out by this......   Chief, that deer had to be an acrobat to get out of the way of a straight shooter like Mr. Krewson! ;D  That dropping down flinch of theirs to the sound of a bowstring must be deep in their DNA.  If I miss, I want to miss low....  i would cull that arrow too. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 12:29:02 pm »
its hard to miss low,, :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 08:20:58 am »
Most miss high from an elevated spot because the lower there bow arm instead of bending at the waist, you have to bend at the waist and keep the bow are parallel with you body just like you would shoot from the ground. :)  off subject ,Good joke from a bow hunter " if you shot over it ,it wasn't to far"  ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 09:50:19 am »
I just need to get in the woods and forget posting for a while. Good for you guys, getting out there!