Author Topic: Flax and ipe  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Dafunk5446

Flax and ipe
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:38:35 pm »
Hey fellas,

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried a Flax backed ipe bow? With the compression strength of ipe and high tension strength of Flax, it should seem like a good match. Plus a little less of a pain then dealing with bamboo, less weight, and more durable. What do you guys think?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Flax and ipe
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 01:58:44 pm »
Even though ipe is very strong in compression it is also brittle and can fret easily. I have heard that flax can cause fretting if tillering isn't just right so it is a toss up. Have you considered hickory for a backing. It is a pretty simple process and the combo makes a great backed bow. Hard maple or elm might make a good backing for ipe also but I've never tried either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dafunk5446

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 02:28:35 pm »
I have considered Hickory and read up on it as an option. I haven't made a ipe bow yet and was considering all possible options before settling on a backing material. I just remember what Tim Baker was saying about Flax in TBB,and thought that it may be a viable option.

If I can actually get my hands on some ipe on of these days... Since I can't seem to find it locally.... Without ordering a decks worth of it. I might just have to try all 3 options of bamboo, Hickory, and Flax in similar designs just to see what happens.

Offline Tim B

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 04:28:27 pm »
Bamboo makes a great Ipe backing as well.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 04:55:40 pm »
How do you figure it will be easier?

Offline Dafunk5446

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 05:03:01 pm »
Well maybe easier isn't the correct term. Less work in terms of planing and cutting the bamboo to size, and doing the glue up.  Just was trying to think of alternatives.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 05:35:58 pm »
Have you backed a bow with fibers? Easy and backing with fibers aren't even in the same sport.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:52:09 pm »
@ JoJoDapyro
May be, this is the right stuff for your project:
http://shop1.r-g.de/kat/Faserverstaerkungen/Naturfaser

I think you can chose an english version of the site.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 06:05:01 pm »
The easiest would be a hardwood backing.
Flax has very little stretch so it can overpower the belly unless the glue allows it to stretches some. It can make a good backing but IMO there are backings that are simpler to prep for and apply.
 With the right design you probably won't notice a difference between boo and other hardwood backings. You might with a chrono but Id bet it wouldn't be by much. I gave up using boo for backings after I lost a few bows due to boo failure.
 I've ever made a flax backed bow but I have done a few sinew backed bows and like Jojo suggested "...  Easy and backing with fibers aren't even in the same sport.".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 06:11:28 pm »
@ JoJoDapyro
May be, this is the right stuff for your project:
http://shop1.r-g.de/kat/Faserverstaerkungen/Naturfaser

I think you can chose an english version of the site.
Could be. I wonder if those are available in the States. I have sinew backed 2 bows, and I don't think it is easy or fun.  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 06:19:40 pm »
I was very impressed with flax but for one thing that bothered me. Tim Baker (I believe) said that because it has very little stretch it has to be applied almost perfectly parallel or one strand will take all the strain. It will break and then the next one goes. It's kind of like tearing a phone book in half. Perfection is not easily reached.

Offline Dafunk5446

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 06:25:46 pm »
Yes I have sinew backed a few bows. I didn't find it all that difficult... Time consuming, messy, and slightly tedious, TOTALY.

The boo failures is one of the reasons I was a little hesitant in going that route. Hickory does sound like the best option in terms of ease of use.

I guess I should have clarified a little better in that I am not after the easiest, or simplest method, I just had not seen anything mentioned about flax in my research about ipe backings. I was simply thinking it might make be a durable alternative and appropriate backing, but as pat b explained there are some problems with it.

Thanks for that insight DC, it's that sort of info I was looking for.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 06:58:28 pm »
I have made a few sinew backed bows and and a few flax backed. With sinew it s easier to work, cause the flax fibers a longer and it is a mess to glue it with the right amount of glue (I have used hide glue).
With linen  cloth I have had good results on children bows.
May be I will test the flaxfibercomposit stuff from r-g, but in the moment I have no time for new projects....

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 11:04:55 pm »
I have made a hickory backed Ipe bow and it is a very good shooter.  Bamboo would be good too but I've not tried it yet.  Just make sure your glue up is good. I used tb3.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 11:48:33 pm »
  I think flax is a terrible option, by the time you add glue it is much heavier than wood or bamboo. I might use a linen cloth backing now and then but after using raw flax a couple of times I would never bother with it again.