Author Topic: So, You bent your static tips and the limbs cracked  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

So, You bent your static tips and the limbs cracked
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:20:20 pm »
I am building a take down static, lots of work in it. When I bent the static tips I got the usual cracking but this time it was deeper than I liked to deal with, I decided to build up the back side to compensate for the thin belly by using thin strips of osage and walnut.

I cut an extra slot in my bending jig to hold the end of my 1/8" lams.The bending jig is the same one I bent the statics in.

I have already glued on the first strip of osage and am putting the walnut strip on today. Time to start bending so the lam will fit the curve easily on the glue-up

Heating;

A few added shims to tighten the lam against the curve of the jig.

Done bending the lam;

Because the limb is already rounded( I was going to make a straight limb bow and changed my mind) I need a bent clamp pad. I always use a Popsicle stick because it is soft and grabs the belly of a rounded bow tip. I bend the Popsicle stick to match the curve of the static.

I put a piece of paper between the Popsicle stick and the bow to keep the stick from gluing itself to the bow, makes cleanup easier. I clamp the ends first. I use a piece if edge grain pine for a clamp pad in the curve. It will break into several pieces and conform to the curve when I apply clamp pressure.

Done, You can see how the center clamp pad broke to conform to the curve. The tip overlay will be next.

Offline PatM

Re: So, You bent your static tips and the limbs cracked
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 07:09:49 pm »
Seems like it might want to pop up where it feathers into the back. I know your glue is very good though.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 07:56:59 pm »
That is a non bending area and will be feathered out to paper thin.

I have done this before, no problems after thousands of shots. My new project will have longer overlays than the one in the picture but will be treated the same way. Unibond is pretty much bomb proof about turning loose.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 08:00:52 pm »
a fella can't help but learn a TON on this forum!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 09:13:18 pm »
This will help a lot of guys Eric, I've done the same with tb2 so i know the urac will hold and it dont bend anyway
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 09:26:29 pm »
thanks for the great photos and info,, B :)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 04:34:18 am »
Interesting cure and nicely done.

But why did you got a crack on the back? Never seen that, on belly - o. k. when not heated enough or long enough.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 08:44:13 am »
No crack on the back, it was belly cracks.The back is a convenient place to build up and make it look like a long tip overlay to add mass to offset the thin belly wood.

I always get some cracking even with plenty of heat or steam and a metal band to hold the splinters down while I clamp.  I can usually file away the cracks and have plenty of wood left for my tips, this time I felt I needed a little reinforcement.

This is bow #153 so I have a little experience in making these things.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 09:13:48 am »
153 statics?  ;)

Offline simson

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 09:56:44 am »
Ohh sorry Mr. Krewson, no offense from here.
I have misunderstood - thought you ment the cracks on the back.
English isn't my first language ...

And I have no doubt - you are an experienced bowyer.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 10:53:24 am »
Only a few statics, the rest were straight limb, a few hickory, a few hickory backed red oak, 50+ bamboo backed osage bows, 4 or 5 bamboo backed hickory bows,the rest were osage stave or billet bows, lots more spliced billet bows than stave bows.

153 marks only the ones I have in my log, no telling how many more fell by the wayside or were lost in time to my memory.

Here is the above bow tip today, darkened by age. It is about 3/8" in the finished form, the bow really spits out an arrow. I am going to play around with statics for my next few bows.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:07:59 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 12:43:59 pm »
Awesome thread Eric.  Great pictures, very well explained, and very well executed.  Thank you

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 12:54:05 pm »
Very good explanation for sure Eric! I have done a very similar thing a few times. Especially when a static turned out to be not so  static. But I've learned a few tricks watching your process.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 01:01:12 pm »
Is there anything wrong with a static that starts to bend? Other than it ain't what you wanted :D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 02:02:52 pm »
Here are the reinforced tip overlays today after shaping. I won't cut the side grooves until I get to full brace and then use the string as a guide to get the perfect angle.

I will narrow and refine these overlays before I finish the bow.