Author Topic: Titebond glue  (Read 5519 times)

Offline broad_head

Titebond glue
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:03:48 am »
Hi All
        I have made a number of laminated English longbows but have never used the Titebond range of glues in there construction. I would like to know what your thoughts are on the 3 versions of the glue and there suitability to laminated bow construction. I understand that TB1 has higher strength?  If these glues are suitable for this application it would make life a lot easier ?
                                                                                                                        Thanks for your comments in advance.
                                                                                                                                                                  Peter. (UK)

Offline TRACY

Re: Titebond glue
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 11:28:04 am »
I've used TBII & TBIII for a lot of wood to wood applications and favor TBIII because of waterproof properties. Both products are easy to come by anywhere in the States.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:28 am »
I use nothing but TB3 for all my glue-ups. No failures.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:08:24 pm »
I've used TBIII on some overlays with good results.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

bodkin head

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:04:38 pm »
have used titebond3 to glue on bamboo backing onto both ash and ipe bows lso good to glue on handles and to fix on drywall tape backing on board bows
its good stuff
cheers
bodkin head (uk)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:29:06 pm »
I use TBII for everything, including a laminate I did a long time ago. It sure wasn't the glue that gave ;).

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:18:08 pm »
could tbIII bue succesfully used to make a laminated boo/hickory reflex/deflex style bow,or would one be better off using bow grip 100?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 12:36:16 am »
Peter, I have used TBII and TBIII for hickory and boo backed bows with all sorts of belly woods and 3 tri-lam bows. Either glue is strong enough for bow building. TBIII has a shorter working time and that can be problem in some applications. With all TB glues you want flat smooth glue surfaces...no grooving or roughing up(as per the TB folks)  Also the glue will let go at 150deg(F). This can be good or bad! I wanted to remove a backing strip from a failed belly so I called the TB folks And I was told to heat it to 150deg, work a blade between the lams and work them apart...and it worked like a champ. Placing a bow, glued with TB glue, in the direct sun or in a hot car could be a problem although I have never had a glue joint come apart accidentally.
   The best part I like about TB glues is they are readily available, cheap, clean up with water and no fumes.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC