Author Topic: Sweat times  (Read 7035 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Sweat times
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 07:26:44 pm »
I more or less do as Steve (badger) does
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 08:08:28 pm »
I feel like I can trust the bow more if it can be braced for half of the day then shoot a few.  Then again I intend to hunt with all of the bows I make for myself.  I tend to put my trade bow through a few more paces. They might sweat for 3 or 4 several hour sessions, just to make sure my guy doesn't end up with a broken bow.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 05:58:55 am »
Mine are hunting bows too, to be strung for several hours at a time, but I generally don't do it before they're trained to bend properly.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 06:33:18 am »
Maybe an hour when I first get it to full brace, then an hour here and there while I am tillering
it . I rarely leave it braced while I am tillering. I always check it/mark what I want to do and unstring. Make my scrapes or any adjustments I want and brace it back up.  :) Not sure that is the proper way but rarely have one change weight or tiller once it is finished unless the wood isn't seasoned well. I hardly ever use wood less than 2 or 3 years old and prefer it to be older if possible.  :) I know some say dry is dry but I feel other wise.  :) OPPS another can of worms. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 10:20:44 am »
Maybe an hour when I first get it to full brace, then an hour here and there while I am tillering
it . I rarely leave it braced while I am tillering. I always check it/mark what I want to do and unstring. Make my scrapes or any adjustments I want and brace it back up.  :) Not sure that is the proper way but rarely have one change weight or tiller once it is finished unless the wood isn't seasoned well. I hardly ever use wood less than 2 or 3 years old and prefer it to be older if possible.  :) I know some say dry is dry but I feel other wise.  :) OPPS another can of worms. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
[/quot

I agree Pappy . I will take 6-7 % over 9 any time. Maybe cause where I live. But that's where I like my bows. I am in process of having 60 staves on hand and adding twenty a year that way I always have dry wood.   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 11:39:05 am »
  Pappy, I used to believe that dry was dry and seasoning had nothing to do with it. I can't speak for all types of wood but I do believe that osage continues to gain stiffness as it seasons. I have been using the same bow for my broadhead flght competition for about 6 years now maybe more. Every year including this year I have to take weight off to make the 50# class. The bow has also continued to gain speed with time. This year I wanted to shoot it at 30" instead of 28 so I scraped it down a few months ahead of time. By the time I got it to the flight shoots it was 50# at 28" again. The bow did well considering it was shot into a headwind as opposed to a tailwind but no record this year. I don't think any broadhead records have been set without some wind assist. I also use this same bow for 3 d shooting and occassional hunting trips where it will be braced for hours at a time. The bow has never lost an ounce since the day it was built, it does seem to continue to gain weight though.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 02:38:05 pm »
I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be talking about working on bows at MOJAM in July!

<snip>...or anywhere near the level of a few guys I worked on bows around who can nail the tiller and draw weight in the time it takes me to have 2 beers.<snip>

BB, You've really got to work on your drinking skills brother! ;D 8)

OneBow

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 03:59:48 pm »
I do the fine tiller on the braced bow.
Let it strung over night, controlling tiller and sometimes a few scrapes here and then are needed.
After a 100 or so shots and controlling again I call it reaady for finishing.

BTW.: I like to have  bow braced min. 15 minutes braced before every shooting.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:59 pm »
I've never sweated a bow on purpose.
I do exercise it a lot and leave it strung for the final couple inches.
I always do some short drawing and exercising before shooting too.
I understand why some sweat, I just prefer to shoot the bow and take the final tillering slow.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 08:48:28 pm »
Eric, my drinking skills may be lacking somewhat but its my tillering skills that need the most work.
Of course there is no reason a guy couldn't work to improve both. ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

blackhawk

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2015, 07:20:34 am »
Yup...lots of ways to skin this cat...i knew id see a lot of different views and ways of doing it. Good discussion guys..thanks :)