Author Topic: ouch! handshock  (Read 6070 times)

Offline dylanholderman

ouch! handshock
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:19:47 pm »
i will get pics up tomorrow after i get off work(to dark right now sorry :-\)

but i have been working on this longbow 69 1/2 inches ntn, bendy handle 1 3/16 wide at the handle tapering to 1/2 inch tips.
tiller is good to my eye maybe i could get the outers bending more but its pretty even no flat spots/hinges.
but i'll tell you what this bow has the worst handshock of any bow i have ever made/handled before :'(

i'm looking for any thoughts, something i might have missed, gerneral advice, ect

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: ouch! handshock
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:31:54 pm »
Try narrowing the tips a bit, it might help the shock.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 09:45:29 pm »
got a braced and full draw pic with it on my tillering tree. and now that i see it in a pic it looks like the outer half on both limbs need to come around some more and the mid limb on the right also needs to bend a bit more ???

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 10:15:56 pm »
Yea, take a little off the outer part of the limb on both sides and thin and narrow those tips down. That will help a lot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 11:18:06 pm »
  It might go against common thinking but the more perfectly circular I tiller a longbow the worst the handshock. The limb is not unwinding like a fly rod it is just snapping back all at one time. Not sure if everyone has the same experience with this as I have. Thinning the outer limbs will help but I doubt it will solve the problem.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27:08 pm »
May be a bit long for bend in the handle bow. I like a stiff handle because I feel the mass in the handle also absorbs shock. That's why I leave as much mass in the middle as I can. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 11:36:55 pm »
Consider the weight of the arrows as well. Light arrows can't absorb all the energy of the shot and the rest gets slammed back into the bow. Heavier arrows will swallow up more of the energy and likely tame down the handshock considerably. Of course, heavy arrows are not an excuse to have a tiller that's off or too much weight in the tips but it is a huge factor in handshock.

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 01:38:50 am »
As selfbowman pointed out, it's plenty long for a bendy handle. So if you have not got too much set, it might be a good candidate for some backing (or stiffening on the belly) in the handle area. That is if you wish to keep the weight you already have or perhaps gain a little. Might even help the hand shock/and or timing issue

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 05:29:19 am »
I would get the right limb/ first 1/3 bending a little more and leave the outer alone, thin the tips a bit and maybe build up the handle if only with cork or leather, I think that would help.
I don't build many bendy handles so maybe some of these guys will be able to help more, that is just what I would do. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 08:48:22 am »
Your limbs are out of time, move your hand up and down the handle part while you shoot to see where the shock goes away. I suspect the right limb is the problem as it looks stiff compared to the left.

Use a gizmo, set it on the left limb and run it all the way up the right limb and make corrections.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 10:57:20 am »
I have to agree with Eric here.  It's a tiller/timing issue.  I can see your tiller is off which has been noted.  Contrary to popular belief, it takes some pretty massive limb tips to cause hand shock if everything else is right.  As far as circular bends, that's why I make mine with the arrow pass at the center and not the handle.  The resulting asymmetrical limbs balances everything out quite nicely.  Get your tiller polished up and it should smooth up considerably.  Josh

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »
  I started putting more bend mid limb in my elbs and it seemed to get tid of the shock. I built one several years ago that was so painful I would drop the bow and grab my bow hand in pain. I was shooting 225 grain arrows out of a 60# a couple of weeks ago that had no shock at all.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 01:58:15 pm »
as stated the bow is a little long to bend that much in the handle,, whip tiller it a bit so the handle is more stiff,, or cut it shorter,, and re tiller,, :)

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »
Thanks guy's  ;D
I don't plan on cutting it shorter for two reasons, one it has a high crown and I wat to try getting it out to 32 inch draw, two I'm trying to do something slick with the tips and I would cut them off and have too try over again :o ;)
Heavier arrows helped but it still has a bit too much shock right now, part of that is that my bow hand can't grip skinny handles very tight ::) but I think most of it is in the bow.
Another thought is I have a big'ol 1/2 washer on the string to adjust its length, could that be adding to the hand shock  ???

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 07:04:41 pm »
a light grip is good for self bow
32 inch draw could go 66 inches,, and some would say 64 but,,
if you weighed the bow and looked at the mass chart in volume 4 your would see it is probably to heavy for the draw and weight you are shooting,, that extra mass is probably part of the problem,,, but bending that much in the middle is part of it too,, not your grip,,, a combo of tiller and design,,