Author Topic: Rylie Makes Her Own Bow  (Read 23556 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Rylie Makes Her Own Bow
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:59:19 pm »
So, few weeks ago Rylie says "Granpa, I wanna make my own bow". This should be fun!

We made trip to Home Depot to find some bow-appropriate wood. Lucky day! Found couple maple  boards. Grainwise, one of the maple boards is as good as a board can be for a bow.

Couple days later she cut that maple board to width & length. Then there's bunch of measuring & line-drawing need to do!

We'll try to post updates as progress is made.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:12:07 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Rylie Makes Her Own Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:12:36 pm »
Beginning of the school year and athletics/band/etc. have caused delay in our bow-building saga. Today we had couple hours together.
So . . . . .

Gotta rough out width profile of limbs. Yeah, that's a scrollsaw we are abusing. Some day I may find the $$ and shop space for a bandsaw.

Then Rylie dumped my bin of offcuts on the floor in search of the perfect combo of wood shades for her handle.

Of course, what she picked were species that I no longer have in chunks big enough for handle lams. So next step is a run to local hardwood store.

Hopefully, we'll remember to do an update!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:47:32 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Riley Makes Her Own Bow
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:22:38 pm »
Nice build-a-long.  Its always good to see a kid interested in making a bow. 

I might have to trade you for a good Maple board next year at the Classic  ;)  Keep an eye out for a good one if you don't mind.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:23:28 pm »
  :o Way toooo Cool  8) Mike ...........I've got three G-kids and I have the same issues..........way to go passing it forward, get the kids involved.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:27:42 pm »
That's too cool Mike. I hope she has a blast and makes a liller bow.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 10:00:01 pm »
I might have to trade you for a good Maple board next year at the Classic  ;)  Keep an eye out for a good one if you don't mind.

will do.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:15:20 am by Knoll »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:49:48 pm »
Atta boy gramps, you two should have a lot of fun and some good memories by the time your done with the project. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 01:48:59 am »
Way to go Mike this is something she won't forget have a blast helping her along
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:19 am »
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. We'll need it.

Many years ago, there was a thought in my head that teaching should be my chosen profession. Fortunately ... for the potential students ... my career went down another path. I'm a lousy teacher. Rylie understands that, and still wants to give it a go.
Hopefully, we'll emerge on the other side of this adventure with bow in hand and relationship intact.

::)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:17:06 am by Knoll »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 04:30:50 am »
NICE ! Great project - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 06:23:50 am »
Very cool, love seeing kids get into this stuff. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for her. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M.J

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:57:10 am »
What great bonding time, can't beat it!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 08:31:46 am »
Atta boy gramps, you two should have a lot of fun and some good memories by the time your done with the project. :)

+1, way to go Mike! Your granddaughter will never forget this!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 02:24:09 pm »
<snip>I'm a lousy teacher. Riley understands that, and still wants to give it a go.
Hopefully, we'll emerge on the other side of this adventure with bow in hand and relationship intact.

::)

Can't agree!  You managed to teach this old goat to tie a bowyers knot!   ;D

OneBow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 11:02:06 pm »
Rylie came to our place after school today. She got her work-in-progress bow out and got it a few more steps toward completion.
She caught on fast to the belt sander and table saw.
Bow's front profile is now shaped and parts to make built up riser and flipped tips are cut to size. Now we have a bunch of gluing to do!
Her mom didn't seem real pleased with all the sawdust on her lil girl's school clothes!  >:D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:18:44 am by Knoll »