Author Topic: draw scale  (Read 3487 times)

riverrat

draw scale
« on: September 16, 2015, 11:12:01 pm »
hey, im getting ready to tiller a bow. im building a tiller tree. however, back in the old days i used a bathroom scale to measure weight to draw. problem is, now a days everythings digital. i.e. junk. they dont work the same . you have to step on them once, step off, step back on and get your weight. sheesh, what a complicated mess. does anyone know of a good scale like for weighing fish? somethin you could hook to the string, pull back x amount of inches and get a accurate reading as for how many pounds at that distance of draw? thanks so much. Tony

Offline PatM

Re: draw scale
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:14:01 pm »
Yes, They have these things  called bow scales. ;)

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 11:43:23 pm »
I have a luggage scale from wallyworld.  Not sure how accurate, but it is consistent, and affordable.  I have seen pictures of others on this sight that look to be using the exact same one.  Hook the hook on the string and pull down.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:51:12 pm »
Yep, a luggage scale is a good option.  I got one from Amazon that was about $14.00.  It has done a fine job and even has a max weight feature.  It may not be a super precision instrument, but more than adequate for building bows.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 12:06:36 am »
paid $8 for mine off Amazon  Etekcity is brand its an El cheepo for sure, but I tested it on 10 ,15 and 25lb weights and it was right there.
Id Rather Be Lucky Then Good!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 02:40:54 am »
I have several:-
A big dial type fishing scale that goes up to 220# bought online.
A digital that goes to 99# bought online .
A really cheap dial type luggage scale that goes to 50# was £1 from poundland... I checked it's accuracy against the others and it's good!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 03:26:53 am »
I use a Hanson hand held scale. I attach it to the end if the rope and pull. The weight registers so I can read it.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 04:52:32 am »
My local fishing tackle shop sells dial scales  - I bought my 50lb scale for £5 - because all the fishermen want digital scales, the old dial scales are really cheap: could be worth 'phoning around see what you can find.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:27:31 am »
Am using one of the el cheapo electronic/digital scales. It calibrates exactly to my old bathroom scale. But it's a challenge for these old eyes to read the numbers from 3' away!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:57:11 am »
The scale I use is a wild game scale. I found one that goes to 75lbs cost about 12 bucks. This time of the year you can even pick one up at Walmart. I bought mine at my local farm supply.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 11:31:17 am »
I use a game scale. Goes up to 500 pounds for tillering full logs.  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 11:40:05 am »
Springfield, MO

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »
Am I the only person who has a bow scale? :)
Just a spring scale from 3 rivers, has a little nub that stays at the highest recorded weight, so all I need to do is watch the inches as I pull instead of the weight.

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 01:25:02 pm »
Just a spring scale from 3 rivers, has a little nub that stays at the highest recorded weight, so all I need to do is watch the inches as I pull instead of the weight.
Forgot to mention my cheapo does record heaviest weight per session and goes to 110lbs (i like not having to watch scale as pulling it also
Id Rather Be Lucky Then Good!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 04:28:36 pm »

Really? I'll check that out. I may have to get me one.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!