Author Topic: Reflex Tillering Questions  (Read 1546 times)

Offline JRMakowski

Reflex Tillering Questions
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:32:16 pm »
So Ive been looking at pics of Reflex Deflex Bows at full draw and i see they have a little different tillered shape I just have the long string on atm and have been slowly trying to get it there I think I need to semi brace it maybe or at least get some 550 cord for my tillering string instead of that 50lb wanna be cord, Thoughts and advice appreciated got some first bow jitters and dont wanna mess it up. Thanks, Josh
Id Rather Be Lucky Then Good!

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Reflex Tillering Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:20:13 pm »
Your bow doesn't have enough reflex to really change the shape, get the outter parts of the limbs bending and work your way in. Get it to 15" on the long string give or take and go to a short string. Get it Tillered nice and even and then raise ur brace height a little by little u tin full brace. U can hear treat some more of the reflex back in once Tillered then make final adjustments
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:46:46 pm »
Ty for the tip, here is a pick without me pulling as well. Guess i was thinking I had more shape then i actually do lol I was so scared to over do it when roughing it out that i left a lot of extra material on there
Id Rather Be Lucky Then Good!

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:37:51 am »
The first thing is that the transition from handle to working limb is too angular. Make this a curve - no straight lines!
Just because it isn't an extreme r/d doesn't mean that the tiller shape shouldn't match your unstrung profile. compared to a regular straight bow this would look like it's inner limbs would be bending a little too much and the outers a little stiff. Whatever your bow looks like unstrung (before tillering) should be reflected at brace and full draw. If this looked like a straight bow at full draw then the inner limbs wouldn't be doing enough work and the outers would be over working.
A great tip for you at this stage is to trace the side profile of your bow onto something (wall,a piece of card,the floor etc) then as you progress with tilleringkeep unstringing it and putting it up against the original profile to see where it has taken any set. Set will tell you exactly how you are doing in spreading the bending strain along the limb. You should be aiming for no set in the inner limbs a little mid limb and the rest in the outers.
Good luck.