Author Topic: Reparir Split limb  (Read 2234 times)

paleryder

Reparir Split limb
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:08:49 pm »
My osage bow that is several years old split on one end of the bow. The split is in the neutral plane between the belly and the back, is through side to side and is about 4" long. On one side, the split is running very close to the back.

My question is about repair. I was just going to glue it. I figured this would be sufficient since it is not part of the limb that bends much. It only split when a string broke, an old string, just after I said to myself "ah, I need to replace this string, maybe I will after pulling this one more time." Geez.

Anyway, is my glue idea sound. I know there's like three different types of Tightbond but I don't know the difference, there's hide glue and epoxy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Aidan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Reparir Split limb
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:43:08 am »
Aiden, You could probably use super glue or TB glue(either of the TBs will work).I would add the glue and clamp it for a day. You could also add a sinew or thread wrap.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 12:48:43 am »
Same as pat says, I have repaired plenty of broken dry fired bows. Super glue may be better as it travels into the crevices better. Steve

paleryder

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 01:05:26 am »
Thanks Pat and Steve. I'll give it a try.

Aidan