Author Topic: grooves in arrow shafts?  (Read 8893 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: grooves in arrow shafts?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »
Very cool tipi stuff,  I really like the rib bone

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 12:52:05 am »
How deep do ya'll carve these grooves? I'm gonna try it!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

riverrat

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 09:41:45 am »
i tried the grooves in arrows in the past. didnt seem to help or hinder my arrows. just made a lot more work. does look cool though. Tony

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 07:05:24 pm »
Thanks Falcon, you'll have to make you one them.
Tracker, the grooves on most of the old ones are not too deep. Dakota, they are too shallow for increasing blood flow.
My experiences with grooving are about like yours Riverrat. I continue grooving them because I am doing replications, but I haven't really noticed a difference in the ones I've grooved compared to any I left the grooves off of. I will say, my best shafts are ones I've grooved and heavily burnished. When you guys find the secret to making a set that never has to be re-straightened, fill me in on you secret.  CC

Offline beartail

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 02:55:22 pm »
I think it has something to do with some superstitious belief. Like ishi had when in he was first discovered.he and his tribe beleaved if the arrow didn't have green on it,it wouldn't hit or kill the deer.he later denounced that belief. maby if arrow had no grove it wouldn't kill?

Offline son of massey

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 06:39:44 pm »
I think in general a bit much is made out of 'why' did primitive peoples do things. For some things there were logical reasons. After that came some mix of aesthetics, culture, superstition, religion, and habit. They may have been trained to add grooves to keep the shaft straight and never bothered to see if it was necessary. They have been a good luck symbol. A guy may have seen some super straight arrows with drying checks and jumped to conclusions and grooved his shafts and it stuck. I would not be surprised if all these options are likely, and more. They didn't have stuff like internet or phone, so they may not have even known why they were doing it, perhaps just that they "found another dude's arrow and it had grooves in it so maybe I should do it too." I am not saying they were dumb, far from it, but this is one of those topics that seems to come up regularly enough and nobody seems to have figured out a real solid reason to do it-which makes me think there wasn't a real solid reason (from a performance point of view anyway) and that some of them just kind of did do it.

SOM