Author Topic: When do u know sinew is dry?  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Blaflair2

When do u know sinew is dry?
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:10:51 pm »
What's y'all's method for knowing its dry? Anything besides the time it has been applied? I have this sinew backed yew bow living in my car seeing if the heat will get her to dry faster.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: When do u know sinew is dry?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:47:49 pm »
a few weeks plus is a good idea(depending on humidity where you live), sinew is one of those things usually better not rushed, that being said,, I have started to tiller some bows after one week,, because I am not good at waiting either,, I think the down side of rushing,, is,,, it may not hold as much reflex as when cured properly,, and also the tiller will probably shift on you as the sinew does cure,, and the bow make pick up more weight than you expect,, just based on my experience with " bowyers impatience" ,, :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:46:22 pm »
The sinewed bows I made I waited a month between courses, 2 or 3 courses of sinew. I check tiller and work to completion. After the tillering was done I'd add skins over the sinew and give it another few weeks. The skins hold the moisture in longer. I've heard of folks doing it all in a few weeks but if I'm going to put in the effort I can wait.
 A lot depends on the R/H of where you live. The higher humidity the longer the wait.
 I would store the bow between sessions over the hot water heater in the utility room where the temp and R/H are more constant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:16:58 pm »
I've been keeping it in the car. And I don't know if the sinew all in one piece like I applied will dry faster? It seems dry. It hasn't moved reflex wise.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:06:21 am »
I've always done sinew in layers so I don't know which is faster drying. Leave the windows opened a crack to let the moisture out of the car...or else you have a sauna.  ;)
 If you can try weighing it and when it quits loosing weight for a few days it is at equilibrium with the R/H. From there a dryer is necessary to reduce more moisture. Winter works well for me.  ;)
 You can probably shoot it long before I would without damaging it. Maybe someone else that is familiar with sinew backing will chime in. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:26:59 am »
If you want it to dry quickly then you should put it on in multiple thin layers with two weeks or so drying time in between..
 1mm of sinew takes about 2 weeks to dry. 2mm 4 weeks, 3mm 9 weeks, 4mm 16 weeks etc.
One thick layer will take much longer to properly dry as the wood also soaks up water from the glue.
One sure way to know when it's dry is to weigh the stave accurately then keep weighing it until the weight loss stops for a week.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:16:00 am »
Mike is right on here. Double the thickness and it's gonna take 4x as long to dry at least.

I usually a it way longer than needed. Had one that looked and felt dry, must have been drying for a few months inside the air conditioning, had taken solid reflex, so I filled it out to 45#(didn't have a scale at the time). Came back to it like 6months later and it was up to 56#. Obviously it was not dry.

Now I just wait until it stops losing weight, and a few weeks extra for good measure and to mentally prepare for the next steps. Lol.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 07:26:33 am »
The amount of glue you leave in the sinew plays a huge role. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:18:51 am »
I have only sinewed two bows, the first bow I made and one a couple years ago. My first was so poorly made that it blew up after 30 shots in spite of the sinew. The sinew on my second pulled the wood apart when it dried. I knew it was substandard osage when I made the bow but didn't think it would matter with a sinew backing.

I have never put my moisture meter to a sinewed bow as it dried, has anyone checked the moisture this way?

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:08 am »
 If you put the sinew on thick you can pack the bow in salt to pull the moisture out quickly. ;)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 09:40:30 am »
That's interesting Pat, have you tried using salt?

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:44:07 am »
 Of course.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 02:08:58 am »
Eric - people forget that sinew contracts in all dimensions not just length. Although I do suspect that the wood hada flaw in it for that to happen.
Pearl - why do you think the amount of glue matters with reference to drying time?
Pat - I'd rather it dried slowly, look into how collagen bonds are formed.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 07:24:44 am »
Its nearly all water.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 09:47:21 am »

Pat - I'd rather it dried slowly, look into how collagen bonds are formed.
You still have to dry quickly enough to prevent decay of the matrix.