Author Topic: Split or saw yew log?  (Read 6958 times)

Offline snowplow

Split or saw yew log?
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:09:52 pm »
Hi guys, I have some yew logs. I have read that I should only split them, and that I should for sure bandsaw them.

Can someone break this down for me a little better? It seems that splitting would be much greater risk of ruining a stave.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Split or saw yew log?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:29:00 pm »
If you want to guarantee two good halves then saw it, if you want to risk it then go for splitting it and hope there's no helicopter twist in it - my last stave split nicely  - but starting the split in the centre really improves your chances - do NOT start cleaving at the end of the stave!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 05:11:53 pm »
How big are the logs?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snowplow

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:03:54 pm »
The largest is about 8" by about 8' nice and straight. Then they go on to about 2". I'm no expert on this stuff but I have never seen any this straight.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:22:21 pm »
Every sawn yew stave I've ever used except one has had grain problems where my draw knife would split across the grain and ruin the stave.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:55:28 pm »
When I see the logs from guys that insist on sawing only and they can't understand why any body else wouldn't always saw instead of split, I can understand why... the logs have a straight trunk, and are straight grained. In other words they usually have access to very good quality stuff and don't even cut the logs that won't co operate.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:42:42 pm »
I've only done a few but I just don't feel right unless I have one split face so I know how the grain runs. My bandsaw has a small table so once I have a split face I can run it through bandsaw and follow the grain quite nicely. If there is any twist I've found it easy to steam out once I've roughed out the bow.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:34:16 am »
I cut lots of yew, and I cry a little every time I think about all the wood I've ruined from trying to split a log. I now always saw yew trying to get the most out of every log. Even here in yew country, nice yew is rare and tough to find.
Yew bark is real easy to read, and I'd never cut anything twisted or gnarly anyways. If the bark looks nice and straight, saw away.  8" is a huge log, please post a pic! Where do you live?

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 12:55:50 am »
What do you look for in the bark to see twist? I've never been able to see the difference.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 01:02:51 am »
Im talking about the stuff thats real obvious. Sometimes yew gets big ridges or valleys that run up a tree and if it cork screws I leave her be.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 03:24:17 am »
I tend to saw.
When working a sawn stave, if you are careful with your drawknife you will still feel where the grain is running and revert to a rasp where necessary. This applies to any stave wether it's been split or sawn, there will always be areas where there are dips and swirls in the grain that won't take an edged tool.
IMO Yew can take a fair bit of grain run off, so laying a straight bow out on a slightly wavy stave is OK.
We've all ruined logs and staves, but I'd say sawing gives the best return.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline snowplow

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:12:07 am »
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds 6 of one and half dozen of the other. So I guess here's the next question, do I dare try to split or saw myself or is this a mandatory job to do with an experienced guy?

Wizardgoat, I am not too far south of you. Seattleish.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 12:45:12 pm »
if you're sawing on a band-saw then make sure you have some form of out-feed table as trying to control heavy timbers immediately as they separate at the end of the cut is difficult - they try to kick up as they fall away at the same time as they pull outwards which can drag you into the saw-blade.   

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 01:19:39 pm »
I have access to a band saw and we always have one guy feeding it and one guy receiving it.
Snap a chalk line and saw it up. Call up local wood shops, they'll charge you shop rate to saw the log.
Doesn't take long and is worth it. oh ya how old is this log?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:57:28 pm by wizardgoat »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 01:32:30 pm »
Don't let the log out of your sight, else some "helpful" idiot is liable to saw off all the sapwood for you ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.