Author Topic: Buffalo arrows  (Read 31832 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Buffalo arrows
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2008, 03:28:02 pm »
Hua.. Sidewinder.. I think it is simple .. practice until you are confident .. use heavy arrows for optimal penetration and do your best to make as quick and humane a kill as possible.. taking any animal with a bow no matter the poundage or arrow type is never a certain thing .. once the arrow leaves the bow it is in essence, out of your hands.. looking at it on the bright side, for thousands of years buffalo have been falling to arrows and I am certain  you will  make meat with your bow.. looking forward to a post of Tatanka pics after your adventure.. MikeA/ho 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2008, 03:44:04 pm »
Thanks Pat  I will read it today.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2008, 10:38:13 pm »
Could someone post the link to the Trad Gang article?  I went to tradgang.com, didn't see it.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 02:00:21 am »
Look in the index. I believe it is there. I'll check it out and see.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 02:04:03 am »
When you come to the "main forums" go down to the 11 forum..."Dr Ashby's reports".    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2008, 02:22:30 am »
Thanks Pat, I'd have never found it.  -m
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2008, 08:41:19 pm »
Ok an update is in order. I have decided that I do not have the time to get the arrows tuned and shot in before I go and since I am getting it for the meat and the experience of taking it with the bow was secondary I have decided that I will take one next year with the bow. I will build a 65# Osage this year and get comfortable shooting it and get my arrow setup in the 8-900 grain range and do the animal justice with a clean kill with the right equiptment. Having said all that I want to thank everyone for the stimulating conversasion and information. I will still get some paleo experience in that I intend to gun kill it on sight and will have to be the one that guts it. Having never done that it should be a worth while experience none the less. I also intend to use as much of the animal as I am capable of and will probabley post on some other threads my experience and progress.  Danny

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2008, 09:37:06 pm »
Danny, get a bunch of that gut out and stick a hose in the end and flush it.  Then stretch it out and dry it. There are a lot of uses for gut.  And make sure you get the backstrap sinew before you let it go to the butcher. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2008, 09:45:48 pm »
I'll do just that Justin, thanks thats just the kind of direction I need. Anyone else?   Danny

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2008, 10:20:35 pm »
I am 42 years old bad knees sore joints one arm a little longer than the other ,Used to rodeo rode bulls, greatest sport on earth time stands still when your looking for eight, I know what its like to be chased by a 12 to 1500 pound animal looking to give you a horn enema sat in a chair for two weeks because a hoof caught me where it shouldn't have when I was getting up to run for fence thank god for bull fighters! I would go for the2.7 pen long way for the fence make first shot count .  or prey chases predator RODE a Buffalo once for $5.00
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2008, 11:17:01 pm »
  Danny, personally. I think that's a wise decision. If you want I'll send you some 200 grain,thin,  raw, coral points for next year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2008, 03:01:13 pm »
Thanks Eddie. I'm thinking I want to go with hardwood or heavy cane shafts if possible. I'll bet the coral points rock. Pun intended. I decided last night that I will make a Osage takedown with buffalo horn handle assembly gonna shoot for 65# @ 60"n2n to take it with. I will make a buffalo hide quiver and hopefully have gut string etc... This is going to be a neat experience. I think I will start another thread laying out the componenets and begin the assembly soon.   Danny

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2008, 08:41:09 pm »
   Good luck, looking forward to seeing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline billy

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2008, 07:08:43 pm »
HEy Sidewinder,

I have complete confidence in your tackle's ability to bring down a buffalo, especially if you are using 800-900 grain arrows.  You've just gotta make an accurate shot within a reasonable distance, and I believe that buffalo will be yours.

I have a copy of Traditional Bowhunter magazine that is several years old and in it is an article about women and traditional bows.  In it are several women who shoot traditional bows that pull 45-48 pounds and they have killed deer and elk with them.  They use reasonably heavy arrows, between 485-550 grains. 

There is also a woman who hunted in Africa and used a 43-pound recurve to bring down a kudu bull.  She was shooting 680 grain maple arrows and had complete pass-throughs on the largest animals (kudu and gemsbok).  She took shots at 18 yards or less, but only if the angle was perfect.

If you have any doubts about what arrows are capable of, keep your eyes out for my article which should be coming out in the next issue or two of Primitive ARcher.  It's titled "Putting Bird Points to the Test".  I think ya'll will enjoy it.   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2008, 10:49:52 pm »
sounds like a good article billy ;D
Modern Day Tramp